Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 25, 2003, 6:08 PM   #1

Default Which Filter to Use

Hi All!
Since Autumn is right around the corner, and me with my new D100, I was wondering which filter could/would be used to bring out the fall colors?? I know I read the answer to this somewhere, but I forgot the answer AND where I read it! Getting older is taking it's toll on the memory! LOL!!

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Chris

PS. I'll more than likely be using a Nikor 28-80 lens.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2003, 7:40 PM   #2

The best results I've had to date were with a tiffen 812 warming filter and last year I got their enhancing filter,it is designed for fall foliage and makes the colors pop. It is the better of the two solutions. Perhaps someone else can advise you but if you try these you will not be disappointed.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 11:42 PM   #3

Default Also try a...

Skylight filter...they are slightly more of a "warming" filter than a UV.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 4:45 AM   #4

Default Re: Which Filter to Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr
Since Autumn is right around the corner, and me with my new D100, I was wondering which filter could/would be used to bring out the fall colors?? I know I read the answer to this somewhere, but I forgot the answer AND where I read it!
This depends on your need. If the scene is too cool, you will need some warm filters. However, since you are using a digital, you can easily adjust the white balance feature to make it warmer. If you are lazy like I am, I carry a set of of warm cards to do the job http://www.warmcards.com/ On the other hand, if you wish to emphasize the color, you will need color intensifiers. The most commonly used is the enhancing/intensify filters that enhance the warm colors in a scene (i.e., red, orange and brown) to provide more color saturation and contrast without significantly affecting cooler colors (e.g., green). I have a few examples in the "Filters" section of my Coolpix 4500 user guide. I have not updated this page for years. Hence, some newer intensifiers that can enhance blue and green filters are not covered. On the other hand, if you have Photoshop or other image editing systems, you can do it with software which in many cases is easier.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 9:58 PM   #5

Default Thank You All!!

Thanks for all the info!! Armed with this advise, I should be good to go now. Oh BTW, Shene, nice site!!
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote