Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 8, 2008, 9:35 AM   #11
Administrator

The OP's primary interest is Sports. See his last posts in this thread:

Quote:
that's what my needs are . primarily high school basketball, indoors..and typical soccer, football , softball outdoors.

I'm into the action shots!
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...889209#p889209

It's hard enough to get photos of rapidly moving subjects in low light, even with a fast camera. The Canon 30D I suggested has a much faster Autofocus System (the Pentax models are the slowest in low light compared to Nikon, Canon or Sony offerings), as well as a faster frame rate if you need it (5fps versus 3fps for any of the Pentax models), as well as a better lens choice (the only Pentax offering that might be suitable for more keepers would be the 77mm limited (and even that may be a bit short). With Canon, you can pickup up an 85mm f/1.8 with USM for roughly half the cost of the Pentax lens. Plus, you'd have longer available primes if you needed them.

IMO, Pentax would be the worse choice you could make between the major brands if your primary interest is shooting sports. For rapidly moving subjects indoors, you need all the AF speed you can get, and stablization isn't going to help a thing. You're welcome to disagree. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 10:17 AM   #12

JimC wrote:
Quote:
... You're welcome to disagree. ;-)
On the contrary, I agree. The purpose of having large aperture lenses is to be able to use faster shutter speeds, so there is less motion blur (if not none), whether itcomes from subject movement or camera shake, so IS isn't necessary. And I agree that a Canon would be a better choice than a Pentax for sports shooting.

And I conceed that the Sony may be a better choice for sports shooting that a Pentax, but not by much if at all. And the Pentax would be a more economical choice than the Sony. And the difference between a 77mm lens and an 85mm lens is where you're sitting, though the difference is also1/2 (maybe 2/3) f-stop.

But the OP has expressed an interest in other types of photography, some of which also require large aperture lenses, and some of which might benefit from IS, in which case, the Pentax would be a better choice than the Canon (and perhaps as good, and definately cheaper than the Sony.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 10:25 AM   #13
Administrator

P.S.

If I were going to go with a Pentax camera, the newer K20D does seem to be an improvement in field conditions from what users are reporting (even though measured test results I've seen still show it's AF system to be slower than any of the current Nikon, Canon or Sony dSLR models).

Could you use it for low light Sports? Sure. But, from what I've seen, you'd get better results with a higher percentage of keepers shooting with a different camera. I'm not seeing the same level of quality shots from Pentax users that I'm seeing from Canon users here (i.e., better photos of rapidly moving subjects in low light).

IOW, if the OP's primary interest is sports, then why not get a model with a faster Autofocus System and a faster frame rate, especially if the cost is less? ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 3:08 PM   #14

For Sony DslR You can also buy a older Minolta 85mm 1.4G. (payed $950, but can be cheaper i think)

This old lens has a focus lock button on the side.

It's cheaper then Sony 85, but a bit less sharper what i heard. But the minolta has a better Bokeh (unsharp background is better)

The minolta is build very well. It has a metal casing.
feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote