Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:49 AM   #1

Default Seek advice between choosing CanonA70 and Olympus C720

I'm interested in purchasing my 1st digital camera and from the research I've done,
the two cameras that interest me are: 1) Canon A70 or 2) Olympus C720.
The Canon seems to offer many nice features (includng sound clip to picture besides movies w/sound)
however the Olympus with Optical 8x seems to give a better picture; and its view finder seems to be a plus over the canon.
What would you sugguest ? Thanks in advance !
cmt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2003, 11:01 AM   #2

I would recommend the Oly C740 which has movie without sound, 10 optical zoom and 3.2 mp. I purchase one for $355 at www.buydig.com. You can also look at the Oly c750 which has movie with sound, 4mp, 10X optical zoom and hot foot for external flash. It runs about $100 more. These two models have superior lens to the older C720. You can look at my samples at:

www.pbase.com/gibsonpd3620

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 3:21 PM   #3

I tend to agree.The A70 is a great little camera but the Olympus long zoom enables you to get pictures you coulnt even see with the A70.
I have about 75 pictures posted that I've taken with the Olympus C750 that you may wanna check out.
I'm not sure if you realize however that these cameras are quite far apart in price range....atleast in Canada they are.
If money isnt an issue buy the OLympus but as Gibson stated you are better off with the 740 (rather than the 720)....but better yet grab the C750......I love it
slickShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 4:44 PM   #4

Wayne

I like the pics in your gallery. I really liked the night shots of the buildings and the reflections on the lake. Good work.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 9:11 PM   #5

Gibson,
When you go to the 10x zoom, does the picture degrade a lot with only 3mpix. I'm considering an Oly camera with 10x zoom, but I really want the pics to look good when printed even if I take them at max zoom. Does this make sense? thanks, brett w
brettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 5:22 AM   #6

Thanks Gibson I'm glad you enjoyed my pics I thought they were nice being a rookie and all.

Brett....I think you may be a little confused.Some people claim its hard to take pictures with a long zoom at full length because the pictures come out blurred......as far as I know this has nothing to do with how many MP's you have.I have found that I can take pictures at the max zoom of my Oly C750 ,10x optical (never use digital!!) and dont get blurry pictures.Maybe my hands are steadier than most,who knows? Fact is the zoom on a camera is a great feature and I guarantee you'll get shots you never would with a 3x zoom camera. If you find you get blurry pics when using the zoom to its fullest either zoom in a little bit or use a tripod.
All the pictures I have posted were taken with an Oly C750 WITHOUT a tripod (ok I used one on the night shots but C'mon)
Check em out and decide on the quality.....you'll notice I've used the zoom to its fullest on many shots and they are clear.
slickShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 9:47 AM   #7

Brett

Any picture that I take has the possibility of coming out blurred. If you check the pics at my web site:

www.pbase.com/gibsonpd3620

Click on the 740 link. These were all handheld shots. I have contrast pics to show the difference from wide angle to full zoom. I rarely print pics beyond 5X7 and 3.2 mp provides great photo prints. I have the C4040 which I use for most of my indoor and lowlight shooting.