Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 11, 2008, 2:50 PM   #11

I am going to take some shots in the next couple days adjusting the ISO and will post them. THanks!
bkond08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 8:38 PM   #12

I think TCav did a good job of explaining your likely problem. In addition to an increased ISO as a solution (more amplifcation of the signal), you could try a faster lens (get more of the available light to the sensor) and/or adding more light (flash). Flash is the hard way, a faster lens is the expensive way, so higher ISO is a good way to start.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 9:04 PM   #13

Thanks. I was reading another post on here about the external flashes....in particular the SB400 and SB600. Just curious, why is using this the harder way as you said in your post? I don't know anything about additinal flashes, just wondering.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 9:59 AM   #14

I have always been an 'available light' photographer. I don't like flash because flash results in something that you didn't see in the viewfinder. What you see in the viewfinder is 'available light'. What flash gives you is something different, especially when the subject is close or small.

If you wnat to give it a try, use the built-in flash and see how you do. If you decide you want more of the same, then get an SB400 or SB600.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:03 AM   #15

Thanks. I do not like using the built in flash - the images seem to harsh to me. I thought I was reading that theSB600 could give you softer/warmer results than the built in flash. I also just discovered last night a setting on the camera where I can change the filter to a warm filter and that also seemed to soften pictures I took with flash.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:04 AM   #16

Flash often produces harsh shadows, glare, blown highlights, and/or red-eye. Sometimes all four in one photo. Those can be avoided, but it ain't always easy even with one of the fancy flash units. I also try to avoid using flash whenever I can, but there are situations where the choice is to use the flash or not get a shot.

The purpose built flash units are fairly spendy - enough that you can get a fast lens for the same kind of price. Esp if you shop the used market.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote