Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 10, 2008, 4:31 PM   #1

I apologize if this is a dumb question...I am still learning. I have a Nikon D40x, and was having issues with sharpness when I was in aperture or shutter priority. Well, it seems that my shots are great when I am outdoors, but when I am indoors (even in well lit areas) is where I seem to end up with extremely blurry pictures. I do not like usingthe flash as the pictures come out too harsh, so I am wondering if lighting could have anything to do with the blur? I tried adjusting the shutter speed but that didn't seem to help at all. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for your help.
bkond08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2008, 5:10 PM   #2

Off the top of my head, it could be motion blur due to camera shake. Indoors, the lighting isn't as good so the shutter speed needs to be slower, and if you don't hold the camera rock steady, it'll shake and blur the image.

Do you have an example you can post here, so we can get some clues?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 7:53 PM   #3

With questions like this, it always pays to post one or two of the problem shots.

Most times, people can access the EXIF data from the picture and see the camera settings that were in effect when the shot was taken. This takes a lot of the guess work out of offering advice.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 8:16 PM   #4

OK. I just have to figure out how to post some pictures. Thanks.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 9:37 PM   #5

Here is an outdoor shot

Old Jun 10, 2008, 9:38 PM   #6

Versus here is an indoor shot
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:17 PM   #7

Your shutter speed was 1/5 sec. on the indoor shot which means that you're going to get motion blur from camera shake and probably subject motion. You need to raise the ISO to at least 400 which will yied a shutter speed of 1/40 sec. or ISO 800 to get 1/80 sec. Your outdoor shot had a shutter speed of 1/60 sec.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 4:39 AM   #8

What ac.smith said.

Attached is an enlargement of the indoor shot you posted.

Notice that the neckband of the right side of the shirt is quite sharp, but it is quite blurry on the left, as is the chair back. That's a result of the Depth of Field (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field ). The subject was close and the aperture was large (f/5.0), so the range of what was in focus is small. In the outdoor shot, the aperture was the same but the subject was much further away, so the depth of field encompassed the fence.

Notice that the cheek on the left shows a lot of blur. This is likely due to the subject turning or tilting his head during the exposure (1/5").

This was shot at an ISO setting (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_setting)of 100, which required the large aperture and the slow shutter speed for a proper exposure. By increasing the ISO setting, you could have used a faster shutter speed (to reduce the motion blur due to subject movement) and a smaller aperture (to increase the depth of field.)

So there are actually two separate factors that were causing the blur you were experiencing, but, luckily, there's a single cure: Increase the ISO Setting.
Attached Images

Old Jun 11, 2008, 8:53 AM   #9

Thank you both very much for your help. I really appreciate it.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 2:23 PM   #10

So post something that you've shot at a higher ISO setting, so we can see if that did the trick, or maybe there's something else going on.