Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 1, 2003, 10:28 AM   #1

Default need of a digicamera & direct printer to print small ins

I am hoping that some of you experts may be able to help!!
I am looking for a digital camera & compatible direct photo printer which can print out piccies smaller than the usual 4'' x 6'' and credit card size.

I am wanting to use it to take pictures in a nightclub and print them out directly to give to people, but ideally I wanted to be able to put the pictures into clear plastic keyrings - however the keyring sizes are smaller than credit card - which is the problem!

The sizes of keyrings I can find to do the job vary - the ones I have in mind to use are either 40mm x 32mm, 45mm x 35mm, 32mm x 40mm and 50mm x 35mm.

Is there any camera's/direct printer packages which would do this or would I need to use a combination of a camera/printer and laptop computer instead?

I would appreciate some help...!!!!! :lol:
theglitterqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2003, 2:09 PM   #2
Administrator

Hmmmm...

This one will take some research.

Will you be able to wait until you have plenty of images, then print them all at once, or will you need to print them as customers are coming in the door?

If you're able to wait, some of the HP Photosmart Printers have the ability to be used without a PC, with the ability to print proof sheets of the photos on the media.

This may work (but you'll need a cutter).

I've got one of the older model printers that is designed to be used without a PC (Photosmart 1215). I've never used mine this way, but it was designed to work this way.

Some of the models even have Color LCD Displays, with photo editing capability, etc. I don't know the image sizes in the proof sheets though, but they may be suitable for your purpose. One of the newer models I see with a color display is the PHotosmart 7760.

I'd call HP and ask them about the features available (and call their competition, too: Canon, Epson, etc.).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2003, 3:22 PM   #3

The Hiti 630 or 640ps can print on stickers that are 1X1 and 2X2. You can print directly from the memory card. The 630ps only supports sm and cf memory. The 640ps supports more types of memory. The quality is very high. www.hitouchimaging.com
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2003, 3:42 PM   #4
Administrator

I just printed a proof sheet from my HP Photosmart 1215, directly from a CompactFlash Card. The proof sheet photo size is 1 1/2 inches x 1 1/8 inches (as close as I can measure it with a ruler).

This appears to be the almost perfect for your 40mm x 32mm keychain size (if my conversions are correct), allowing you to cut the entire photos out -- with a small margin for error if you cut out some of the surrounding white paper, too.

Check my calculations to make sure.

There is plenty of room between photos to use a sheet cutter (available at office supply stores).

You'll get 25 proof photos per page (5 rows/5 columns) with spaces between the photos.

I suspect that the newer HP Photosmart Printers (like the mode I mentioned in my first post) will work the same way.

So, this may be an option.

Why don't you go to a store with a demo printer, and have them print a proof sheet for you -- to see how well this would work?

Edit/Update:

I was not using any kind of "direct connect" feature. I simply plugged the compactflash card into the built in reader. It reads the number of photos on the card, then automatically defaults to "Index" as the photo size, so all you have to do is press the print button to get the index/proof sheet.

The new printers (like the HP model I mentioned in my first post) also support direct connect (so that there is no need to remove the memory card from the camera). Many new cameras support this feature.

Good Luck finding a solution!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 7:25 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice guys - you've both been really helpful, fingers crossed I can be taking piccies very soon!!

Kerry
theglitterqueen is offline   Reply With Quote