Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 7, 2003, 6:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrmseKpr
I know this doesn't help, but I find it hard to believe that the camera doesn't have a lens cap detect function to protect against such thing.
It's a fair comment, but the 3020 is an older camera (2001)...newer Oly's do beep in this situation. I guess Oly got tired of fixing this problem under warranty!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:57 AM   #12

Worst case scenario is the zoom motor overloaded and if no software protection, the extra current may have taken out an internal fuse. If there is absolutely no sign of life after leaving batts out and replacing with known good, I'd get a multimeter put in series with a batt to see if any milli amps at all drawn. If absolutely zilch (even 0.5) I'd suspect a fuse on the batt supply side = repair job.

Does the camera have an external power jack and does it work with that? VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 12:45 PM   #13

Before purchasing my Olympus C-740UZ, I have noticed that the lens cap can be quite of a hazard. I have not tried turning on the unit with the lens cap on, but turning it on at the "Playback" setting does not make the lens move forward.

Has anyone here tried this and if so, will it have the same effects as the problem of the creator of this thread?

I hope not.
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 1:20 PM   #14

Personally what I have done is gotten a lens tube adapter and a UV (actually a Skylight filter which I prefer) and keep that on the camera at all times...not only does that solve the lens cap issue, but it keeps dust off the lens, and protects the lens barrel from getting bumped. I still have a generic clip-on lens cap on my filter to keep the dust off it, but I can turn on and off the camera with the lens cap on since the lens barrel is all encased...I don't even have to worry about if someone is standing close to me when the lens extends.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 2:12 PM   #15

Right, now I will just have to be patient in waiting for the reply to a letter I sent to http:///www.2filters.com regarding the said tube and UV protection kit.
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 2:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkThrone
Right, now I will just have to be patient in waiting for the reply to a letter I sent to http:///www.2filters.com regarding the said tube and UV protection kit.
Depending on the question, maybe a fellow C-7x0 user can answer the question...you may want to ask in the Oly_C700 group that's in my signature.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 5:41 PM   #17

.............Before purchasing my Olympus C-740UZ, I have noticed that the lens cap can be quite of a hazard...........

My Fuji 602 has its lens cap attached with a Fuji nylon cord attached to the camera strap, so it is still long enough to extend the zoom when fitted. The lens cap can stay put whether lens is in or out as it clips inside the lens barrel not the outside. Just a pity they couldn't come up with a filter adaptor on the same principle, to avoid using the extension tube. Although when I looked into it, the plastic clips obscure the lens. I always check the cord is hanging free first before switching on.

I have heard of people accidentally getting cameras turned on in bags, but in my case since the switch is rotary, this would be pretty impossible. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 12:52 PM   #18

Default The Camera is Fixed!!!!

The great God of Glitch has smiled upon me and (with you're help and advice) the camera is working fine again...new batteries did the trick. The motor didn't burn up or the gears get stripped because it was truned off quickly enough. And the advice (in the Olympus forum) not to trust the battery test reading because there wasn't a load on them was 'right on'. Regarding the awful lens cap situation... (for the meantime) I found one of those soft Crown Royal bags (purple with the gold drawstrings), put my camera in it, and threw the lenscap in the trash...then fished it out and put it in a pocket of my camera bag...just in case.

I'm definitely going to check into the alternative lenscap links - thanks so much!
Smilynn again!
smilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 12:45 AM   #19

Default The camera is fixed!!!!

Smilynn, have you considered using rechargeable NiMH AA batteries instead of the Olympus type that comes with your camera. Go to thomas-distributing.com. Their model MH-C204F charges AA/AAA NiMH or NiCD. It is a good idea to have more than one set of batteries. I have two sets of AA's plus the original battery that came with my Oly 3000Z (to use for a back up if the others discharge). To prevent the lens crash, I have a Tiffen lens mount adapter that is left on the camera at all times. The adapter has threads for 43mm add on lens if you want to add them. The Olympus lens cap will also fit on the adapter but it is not a tight fit. I leave the cap on while the camera is in the case. Point is, with the adapter on the lens will extend without crashing, even with an add on lens. Add a UV protector a sky light filter (both clear) to the adapter to protect your camera lens.
J Eachus is offline   Reply With Quote