Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 2, 2003, 5:20 PM   #1

Default lens cleaning?

I have JUST bought a CASIO QV-R40 (well last weekend anyway). I have just noticed that on the lens glass behind the "lens protector" there are two small smudges (at least I hope they are smudges!). How can I get rid of them, or try to get rid of them without damaging anything? I don't own any lens cleaning equipment and don't really want to buy any just for a snapshot camera but I will if that is the only option. Thanks. I need to find out quickly if they are smudges or scratches, if the latter its going to have to go back to the shop.
ralphuk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2003, 6:25 PM   #2

You dont need "equipment" to clean a lens of minor grease smudges. Go to your trusty camera shop and get a small bottle of cleaning fluid and some tissue wipes or one of the nice microfiber cloth cleaning cloths. That and perhaps a Q-tip to get the cloth into nooks should get your lens clean and not risk damage to it.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 1:31 AM   #3

Default My method

I dip the camera lens into liquid nitrogen for 1/3000th of a second. Then (carefully) time down 3.876 seconds & then (slightly...no more than than .000128#'s of pressure) tap the top edge of the lens with a #.02 micrometer screwdriver tip. Now, (using great caution, flip the frozen layer of ice off of the lens (which will contain any smudges, streaks or dirt) onto the floor.

If you want to remove deeper layers of smudges, you might try nitrogen dipping for 1/1000th of a second (the flipping will remove any & all smudged lenses, thus giving a clear view to the CCD.

YMMV...(& this was a joke too)!
Old Oct 3, 2003, 2:42 AM   #4

Oh I just happen to have some Liquid Nitrogen here by my computer! (not that I use it to cool the comptuer...)

:P
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 5:34 AM   #5

Kalypso
- LOL
Old Oct 3, 2003, 5:35 AM   #6

padeye - thanks!
Old Oct 4, 2003, 1:41 AM   #7

Default Re: My method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalypso
I dip the camera lens into liquid nitrogen for 1/3000th of a second. Then (carefully) time down 3.876 seconds & then (slightly...no more than than .000128#'s of pressure) tap the top edge of the lens with a #.02 micrometer screwdriver tip. Now, (using great caution, flip the frozen layer of ice off of the lens (which will contain any smudges, streaks or dirt) onto the floor.

If you want to remove deeper layers of smudges, you might try nitrogen dipping for 1/1000th of a second (the flipping will remove any & all smudged lenses, thus giving a clear view to the CCD.

YMMV...(& this was a joke too)!
I doubt your figures. I have done this and 1/3000 of a second will simply not cause surface moisture to properlly adhere to dust. It may look clean but if you look at the lens under an electron microscope (be sure to shield your camera with renolds wrap aluminum foil (no the cheaper stuff will not work), there is still an un aceptable amount of dust not to mention single molecules of fingerprint oil. 1/1000th of a second is completlly ridicioulous too. Everybody knows that the little people that live inside your camera and operate it for you when you push the buttons cannot survive a dip longer than 1/1001 of a second. How do you expect your camera to work if all the little people inside are dead?
I also don't know where you got the idea of taping the the top edge of the lens. This will cause the lens to momentarilly move down by exactlly .00304567 inches (yea, that right, I'm in America, so it's inches). Your lens will move down and come right back into the dirty ice and get recontaminated. You have to use a #.02 sonic screwdriver and tap the bottom with exaxtlly .000127# of force causing the contaminated ice to harmlessly fall to the ground.
I supose next you are going to tell me it is wrong to cryofreeze a broken camera. You may doubt that future technology will find ways to revive the little people inside, but I have faith it will happen.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 5:38 AM   #8

I must admit I share the point of view of Little People Liberation Front. Sometimes I understand why they go into violence to liberate the little people in cameras. How would you like to be in a metal housing which is flipped for any micro second in nitrogen? If 1/1001 is fatall , than no niitrogen cleaning at all is best.

Try to put some honey on the lens, thats right. They love honey and will lick the whole lense as clean as can be, both sides, every glass element even those without honey. Another point: Leave the memory card door open at night so the little people can enjoy a bit of freedom. If you don't like to do it for them do it for your camera, there are LPLF's in every coutry and region, also near you.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 12:02 PM   #9

Default But you forget...

Leaving the media door open also will allow the small ornery bunch (from here on known as SOBs) to remove their farm impliments and possibly revolt. Leaving your camera on (or near) a bedside table, with the media door open, is a sure invitation for disaster (pattern baldness my a**).

My preferred method of providing enough distraction to placate the SOBs, is to drill small holes in the rear of the camera (at varying heights...don't forget the little SOBs) so they can peek out. If their screaming annoys you, a piece of Glad "cling-wrap" will still allow them a (somewhat distorted) view of the world while containing their abusive curses and trash-talking within the camera. (I've also found that the pink colored "cling-wrap" actually seems to calm the little buggars down...sometimes to the point of total uselessness. A good shake ususally will fix that though).
Old Oct 4, 2003, 12:50 PM   #10

Kalypso, you will sure be in trouble pestering the little people you call so rude SOB's. Not only might you run more often in camera trouble, or the LPLF (can I have your adress?). Also note by wrapping the camera in plastic foil you lower inside oxygen. You endangering those people and even at best they will not be able to make the camera work as should. But there is more to it.

First I was also annoyed with those people: They came with all kind of -what sounded to me like luxury- demands like buying a lens cloth for better outdoor view, and maybe a speck grabber for persistant stains. http://www.kinetronics.com/. After giving it a try, I noticed the camera improved, better photos.

They are gratefulll people by giving them the right to go around, and listening to their words they look also into my affairs. They noticed I had outgrown the first model Ixus provided by my work and send an email to my employer's little people in his digital camera and they briefed him about this update wish...(This is also the reason to use the camera to download photos instead of a card reader). Now I have a Canon 10D at my dispossal, something I would never have dared to ask my employer directly about.

Ofcourse I have left both cameras with open CF door open next to each other overnight so they could choose which camera and user they want to serve.

Kalypso, you may see at this point that not even treating your little people on a lens cloth and wrapping their habitat in plastic is serious bad news, and you may even find a future camera upgrade to be next to impossible (or end up with a 1 mP Q quickcam)
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote