Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:12 PM   #1

Hi guys, I'm new and looking for some insight regarding macro focusing distances on the Canon D450 and Olympus E-520.

From the specs stated, both the kit lenses with the D450 and E-520 have a minimum focusing distance of about 20-25cm. It's also stated that these cameras have macro mode.

My question is does activating this macro mode enable shooting of subject closer than the speced 20-25cm? If yes, what is the closest macro focusing distance of the D450 and E-520 with kit lenses?

Thanks.
splunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:43 PM   #2

The various modes on the camera, such as Canon's close-up mode etc. usually have to do with aperture/shutter speeds that the camera would automatically set, it does not affect the minimum focusing distance of the lens, which is set by the lens's optics. The only way to change the minimum focusing distance is by changing the optics of the kit lensesby the use of extension tubes or dioper filters/lenses.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 11:09 PM   #3

Thanks for the info,

Could you point me off the anywhere I can get these tubes/filters?
splunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 4:36 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Most camera shops will be able to supply them.

In the US check out B&H for a starting point, for the UK Warehouse Express, anywhere else then please check a local store.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 9:27 PM   #5

Extension tubes fit between the lens and the camera and must match the camera mount (i.e., an extension tube that fits a Canon won't fit an Oly). Dioper filters/lenses fit on the front of the lens. You need to buy one with the threads that fit your lens (the diameter of the lens opening) - manufacturer doesn't matter.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 1:46 AM   #6
Super Moderator

I would look at extension tubes as you can use them with and lens on the mount you have. However they are more expensive and reduce the aperture but generally they give better results but on a budget diopters work well.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote