Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 4, 2003, 5:05 AM   #1

Default Storage media and x-ray at airport.

Not having used a digital camera before, I was wondering if digital storage can go through an airport x-ray machine . I would hate to have a couple of compact flash cards full of photos go blank or become corrupt after having gone through the airport! Also how about digital photos burned onto a cd? Are they safe to send through the x-ray?
jmphotoart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2003, 9:50 AM   #2

no affect whatsoever. i work at EWR and pass through every day with my camera and cards.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 2:26 PM   #3

The only thing I've heard about that kills memory cards is the radiation the post office used to kill possible anthrax letters, but you won't find that in an airport.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 9:12 PM   #4

Never had a problem any time I fly with camera media. I take my camera anytime I go anywhere.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2003, 7:42 PM   #5

I traveled recently with 480 pictures in two SD cards and they arrived home safely. Not a single picture was damaged.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 11:07 PM   #6

Thank you all for the input. I feel MUCH better now
Guess there is nothing holding me back from going digital :!:
jmphotoart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 9:30 PM   #7

X-rays may not be the direct issue, but actually the strong pulsed electro-magnetic fields generated the x-ray equipment might ought to be your concern.

I had my Palm PDA erased (hard reset) at my dentist office during routine low dose dental X-ray session. The PDA was in the pocket of my jacket which happend to be hanging on the wall opposite power supply for the X-ray machine (less than 6 inch separation through the wall). The cycling of the X-ray machine created sufficient fields to disrupt the PDA.

Even though my Palm experience didn't involve flash memory loss, what I'm trying to convey is that any modern (low voltage) electonic equipment can be upset by strong electromagnetic fields.

Pulsed fieldes are of greater concern since they can cover a greater frequency spectrum spectrum.

Keep your Laptops/ PDAs/ digi-cams/ as far away from transformers, power suppies/ power switching racks, etc. as possible.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 7:24 AM   #8

now thats a reach on that one. early palm devices are notorious for doing this. no battery back up to maintain the memory in the device. it was a poor design to say the least. what caused your palm to go could have been many contributing issues.

pondering this i pulled out my old handera 330 w/charged Lion battery (this is a modified Palm 3 type unit different MB and better screen)and walked up front to the big drum scan xray machines at EWR and asked to put it thru the unit a few times. now these are a bit more powerful then you dentists setup and ran it through 5 times while on. there was no effect except the pretty picture on the viewsonic screen of its innards in color.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote