Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 26, 2008, 12:20 PM   #1

I hope I can explain this right because this is driving me batty!!!!

I love playing with my photos but how come when I view them in different programs or websites they look totally different??

I first noticed this when I would put a photo as my desktop background that the color would be all wrong from what they would look like in my picture folder even if I made it the same size as the screen.

Then I noticed if I would put photos up on facebook or flicker they would still look different. What get me is that they look totally different everywhere, But mostly is that the photos are dull and the colors just wrong. The only time that does not happen is when the photos are strait JPEG out of the camera. Then they look the same everywhere.

Am I doing something wrong in my photo editing???? Is it my monitor that is the problem??? The only place my photos looklike what i wanted them too,is in Lightroom, PSE and my picture folder. Everywhere else they look funny. I am viewing them all on the same flat screen monitor. BTW they print out just fine on my printer.

Is this normal???? Can it be helped????? I would like for my family to see my photo the way I see them. This just makes no sense to me at all.
julianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2008, 1:27 PM   #2

IIRC, PS Elements, and Lightroom both use Adobe RGB as the default colorspace. Most browsers use sRGB, and, unless you have changed it, your monitor is probably using sRGB as well. This will make for viewed color differences, as Lightroom and PSE are color space aware, while your desktop and browser probably are not.

If you mainly want to be able to share your photos over the web, you probably need to change the color setting in Lightroom and PSE to sRGB instead of aRGB. Look for Color management in the menus.

To find out more, look up color management. One good place to start is from the Steves Digicams main page. Look at Mike Chaney's tech articles. I believe he has a couple on color management.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 4:36 PM   #3

My Goodness!!!!!! I can't thank you enough.

I have no idea if what I did was what you meant but my problem is all fixed. Maybe not for a pro but for me it is

I did not go read the info you gave me just yet because had no time but I will later tonight.

What I did was when I went looking in lightroom for where the problem might be, after reading your post. I noticed that when I was done with my RAW files, I was saving my Jpeg in adobe RGB. So I tried saving one in sRGB. And voila my daughter did not have green hair anymore. Sent it to my mom and Facebook just to make sure and she really is a blond again.

I don't know if that is what you meant but I'm SOO happy THANK YOU!!!

Now that my interest is up. Is one better than the other?? Or does it really matter???
julianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 8:41 PM   #4

julianne says:

...What I did was when I went looking in lightroom for where the problem might be, after reading your post. I noticed that when I was done with my RAW files, I was saving my Jpeg in adobe RGB. So I tried saving one in sRGB. And voila my daughter did not have green hair anymore...

Now that my interest is up. Is one better than the other?? Or does it really matter???

Adobe RGB has a larger color gamut than sRGB -- that is, it can display more colors, especially in the green end of the spectrum. There are higher-end monitors out there that can display the whole Adobe RGB gamut (and even beyond) and many inkjet printers that can print it -- again, higher priced units with lots of different color cartridges at the ready.

Does this make aRGB better than sRGB?

Technically, I suppose that a system that reproduces more of the color spectrum should be capable of rendering more accurate pictures than a system that reproduces less.

In practise, though, how truely useful is this increased color gamut to the average person if he needs premium equipment to realize it, and most of his friends and family see pictures that are a bit on the dull side with odd color casts?

It looks to me that aRGB and other, even wider color spaces, will remain niche technologies until web browsers become color aware, aRGB replaces sRGB as the default device color space and the $200.00 monitor and $60.00 printer can utilize these spaces.

There is a lot of pro work done in aRGB, but there are also many, many photos hanging in galleries around the world that were done in sRGB.

julianne, if the prints you make are coming out how you want them to using aRGB files, keep using them. You can always make sRGB copies of your images for web posting and emailing to friends.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:31 PM   #5

I think Grant pretty much covered what needed to be said. As to printing, I would suggest you try processing the same picture in aRGB and sRGB, and evaluate the prints. Use a shot with a good range of colors and shadows/highlights, such as a nice sunny backyard with grass and flowers. If you can see enough difference to make it worthwhile, then do your printing from the aRGB versions.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote