Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:34 AM   #1

I received my Sony W300 four days ago. I've noticed that when the camera takes a picture, it looks fine in the automatic playback and as a thumbnail within the camera, but is ruined when viewed in the camera and subsequently uploaded to the computer. This does not happen with all photos, only a few. The camera appears to mesh old photos with the new one or not completely process the new photo (when this happens and I try to view the photo in the camera, I get a "file error").

I don't know how else to explain it, so I've included a few photos for you to view (large files). I haven't seen this problem occur anywhere else, and I plan on calling Sony when I return to the states in a few days.

http://images39.fotki.com/v1283/file...6/DSC00416.jpg
http://images37.fotki.com/v1237/file...6/DSC00441.jpg
http://images39.fotki.com/v1285/file...6/DSC00437.jpg
http://images36.fotki.com/v1156/file...6/DSC00439.jpg
http://images38.fotki.com/v1280/file...6/DSC00432.jpg
http://images39.fotki.com/v1292/file...6/DSC00415.jpg
confettitea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2008, 10:29 AM   #2

Links don't work, my W300 which I have had a couple of weeks is a great little camera and does not have any problems such as you mention, maybe you should return it for exchange.

Camera: Sony DSC-W300

Attached Images

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 10:41 AM   #3
Administrator

That sounds like your memory card is corrupted.

Try formatting the card using the camera's menu choice for format (not a PC) before using it again and see if that solves the problems.

I do that prior to each reuse of a memory card. That way, you always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), just the way the camera expects it, since it's performing the format.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 10:42 AM   #4

Never thought of that Jim, I allways have formatted my memory sticks in camera and not the PC. :-)

Night shot.

Camera: Sony DSC-W300

Attached Images

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 10:59 AM   #5
Administrator

That kind of issue is pretty common. It's probably more common when users delete photos using a PC (or cut and paste photos), since the "cut" part writes to the card (when you delete, it has to update the file allocation table entries).

So, that can lead to a corrupted card if you remove one before any cached writes in the operating system's memory have been written to the card (which can happen if you don't use the eject or safely remove features before removing a card from a reader, or removing your camera from a USB connection).

If you're using your camera for a reader, and the battery dies before the writes to the card from your deletes (the cut part) complete, that can also lead to corruption. When the FAT does get corrupted, you may not even realize it until later down the road (as in when you notice the camera reporting errors, or see corrupted files when viewing them). You can't go by the thumbnails either (since they're a separate image that's embedded in the full size jpeg file).

I never write to a card using a PC unless absolutely necessary (and when you delete images, or use "cut and paste", which does the same thing, you're writing to the card, which can lead to corruption if something goes wrong).

Instead, I just copy the files from a card. Then, I format the card using a camera's menu choice for format (not a PC), prior to every reuse --- no exceptions. That's the way I delete my images. That approach also insures that the card always starts out with a fresh File Allocation Table, just the way the camera expects it (since it's performing the format). Formatting is usually faster than deleting images anyway, since it's only recreating the FAT (File Allocation Table), versus updating entries for each deleted file separately.

I doubt the camera is at fault. It's likely a card problem (either it's defective, or it just has a corrupted FAT, which formatting it using the camera's menu choice for format should correct).

Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:14 AM   #6

Hi, thanks for the replies. I never cut/paste/add things to the card using my PC. If I delete any photos, I do so using the camera. I upload the photos by connecting my camera via USB.

I formatted the card with my PC -- then again using the camera's option to format the card itself.

I did this maybe a week ago, and I'm having the same problem again unfortunately. But I haven't reformatted the card with each new use, because this is not a problem I've run into (I've owned three other digital cameras in the past).

Should I buy a new memory stick or just try to reformat the card as often as I can?
confettitea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:33 AM   #7
Administrator

confettitea wrote:
Quote:
I did this maybe a week ago, and I'm having the same problem again unfortunately. But I haven't reformatted the card with each new use, because this is not a problem I've run into (I've owned three other digital cameras in the past).
Personally, I *always* reformat a card prior to every reuse, using the camera's menu choice for format. It's usually faster than deleting images anyway.

Quote:
Should I buy a new memory stick or just try to reformat the card as often as I can?
I'd suspect a memory stick issue. But, just to make sure something you're doing is not causing it, you may want to reformat the card prior to each reuse and see if that solves it. Something in your transfer process could be corrupting the card if anything is writing to it (for example, a media detector of some kind like Picasa uses may be updating it's information in a folder on the card if it's setup to scan all folders for new images), or there could be a "quirk" in the firmware that causing corruption under some conditions (i.e., manually deleting files may not be updating the FAT properly in some cases). That's only speculation.

If you get a new memory stick and that solves it, then it was likely just a defective card versus something else going wrong.