Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 28, 2002, 11:22 PM   #1

Default shutter speed?

shutter speed?

I'm camera blind, so i got some question want 2 ask.
1. Isn't the digicams really need a slow shutter? what purpose for it?
2. How many sec. is suitable for shutterbugs?
3. How many sec. is good for night shot?
4. What about 2 sec. is suitable for what type of photos? and how about 15 sec.?
hugo_pua is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2002, 7:00 PM   #2

There isn't any one right answer for this question. On any given shooting situation you will have different lighting conditions, different lighting, different distances and different subjects.

Shutter speed and aperature size in tandem are two important factors and they work in tandem to determine how the exposure looks as an end result and you need both in your calculations.

Any time you have shutter speeds approaching 1/30 or slower you are in tripod and even maybe remote shutter release territory because any shake at all and you'll just have some blurred photos.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2002, 7:07 PM   #3
NHL

This is what you get for a 2s shot:

http://www.pbase.com/image/2206767
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2002, 7:43 PM   #4

Default Dear NHL:

I had saw the photo that captured by Dimage 7, a photo is amazing and beatiful. but i want to ask:
1. What type of digicams can capture the photo like this effects.
2. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P2 can do this jobs or not?
Old Jul 30, 2002, 5:23 AM   #5
NHL

In my opinion any camera can do the job. I'm on 'you control' the camera rather than the other way around...school. What is more important to me is the convenience and upkeep, and base on the MemoryStick and Infolithium alone this camera wouldn't be my 1st choice. For example after you've gained experience your next camera will probably use CF card (it's needed because the picture size is rather large), and AA rechargeable LiIon...

Keep this in mind and in the future when you're ready for an upgrade and keep this purchase as a 2nd camera, then both its film and its batteries are probably incompatible...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2002, 3:07 AM   #6

anybody can tell me what result(qualify, sharp and etc.) will i get if i set the shutter speed to 15 sec. to capture a night shot.
Old Aug 1, 2002, 12:35 AM   #7

Begin with some shots in program mode , then you will have hints for the range of aperture and shutter speed, or you can use a meter ( I never use it)
15 sec is a rather long time exposure , you can catch for example an urban shot with luminous traces done by the cars light on the street. I am not even sure you can do it with a consumer range digital cam because the smallest aperture usualy not small enough ( ie you end up with an over exposed pic)
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 1:01 AM   #8

Default Dear KCan,

Kcan, can you recommended which digital camera can do it...........? i am very interesting about it. Thank a lot..
Old Aug 17, 2002, 10:24 PM   #9

Hi hugo_pua again,
Have been a while .. are you still around ?
I guess you made your choice already?
Since we talked about stuff , just like to show you some of my shots I made with the D7i back in July, not for recommending you that camera , but to show you what we can do (you included) , especially in low light , with a medium $$ digicam, and without much experience.
All the shots are done without tripod, well just because I didn't bring it with me. The slowest is 1/2 sec I think , and I guest that I was lucky not to introduce too much blur.

http://www.pbase.com/image/3939455

( the D7i was on "vivid color" setting , I like that)
If you look at the "exif" you will see all the data of each shot

PS: and of course, I am not a reference , just like to give you some more "luggage" so you can make a wise choice that suits your needs and taste.

[Edited on 8-18-2002 by KCan]
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote