Old Oct 10, 2003, 1:39 PM   #1

Default Which Camera?

Hi I am new here and I want your opinions

I have narrowed my list down to 4 cameras which are:

Kodak DX6490
Fuji Finepix S5000
Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ1
Olympus C750

What I want is the best picture quality out of the 4, excellent pictures in all conditions, none or hardly any blurring of pictures when zoomed in fully on optical.

Which one would you choose?

Thanks for your time.
JR2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2003, 1:46 PM   #2

Not too many people here (including myself) has used all four (or even more than one of the list). The one thing I can say (although I wouldn't buy it myself as it doesn't have manual modes) is the Panasonic DMC-FZ1 has an image stabilizer (IS) which would help prevent motion blur on longer zooms.

Not everyone needs IS, I've taken many handheld shots at full zoom (in daylight) with no problems but I've got many years of experience. Otherwise I get out my tripod.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 3:17 PM   #3

Of the ones you list I would get the C750.

The stabilization on the FZ1 doesn’t make up for the 2Mp IMO. The FZ1 is also point and shoot without sufficient controls. That would eliminate it from consideration for me regardless of Mp.

The Fuji is nice but I would personally prefer the 4Mp.

I think the DX6490 would be my second choice. I like the 2.2 inch LCD compared to the dinky little postage stamp one on the 750. And some people like the docking cradle. The Kodak is a little heavier and the shape wouldn’t allow a fanny pack carry as easily. I prefer the mode dial on the Oly with MyMode. It is a custom mode you can go to and know where everything is set for situations you use often. And it is nice to separate the P from ASM rather than have them all in one like the Kodak. I prefer the AA batteries on the Oly as a spare set is cheap compared to the proprietary battery on the Kodak. The SD cards for the Kodak are a little cheaper per Mb than the xD and more readers will read SD. But that is minor and someone posted a pretty good deal on xD cards over on dpreview, so they might be coming in line. And there are a lot more discussion boards with knowledgeable people sharing the fine points of Oly use than Kodak. You learn a lot from such discussions.

They all have good lenses. You can take a look at sample photos on Steve’s reviews.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 3:50 PM   #4

Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe
They all have good lenses. You can take a look at sample photos on Steve’s reviews.
I was comparing the four using the park picture and I was most impressed with the Panasonic, but that might be because it was a lot more sunny than the other three days and the sky was clear.

This is really doing my head in, I change my mind every 5 minutes. :lol:

I also want reliability, I don't want to have to get it fixed every week.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 7:19 PM   #5

If you view the pictures full screen you are seeing only the exposure, contrast, saturation and sharpening set as default. I admit the Oly seemed to get the exposure a little off, but you can just set the Oly once to increase the contrast, saturation and sharpening if you aren’t going to post process in an image editor. Post processing is best if you shoot with minimum contrast and sharpening. You can also set the EV up a notch if you want the shots brighter and it will remember that as well.

But you have the ability to modify all of those things and more in the Oly. And if you take advantage of the great learning tool a digital camera is and move past just pointing the camera at something and taking what it gives you, the Oly has full controls where the FZ1 will remain just a point and shoot.

I blew up the same section of the building in both the FZ1 and Oly shot. A lot of the difference is the lack of pixels, but it is also obvious to me that the Oly shot is sharper to boot.

FZ1:

Oly 750”

Old Oct 11, 2003, 3:18 AM   #6

Thanks for that.

Well I am going to buy one today and after reading numerous reviews it is between the Oly and the Kodak. I know the Oly is probably the better camera, but I am not sure if I can afford it because the camera is £44 more and the xD 256mb memory card is £30 more. Plus I want a case.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 10:37 AM   #7

Nothing wrong with the Kodak. The weight is given without batteries and the proprietary battery in the Kodak is likely lighter than the 4AAs in the Oly, so the weight difference is likely negligible. The docking station is nice if you have the desk space and the LCD display is excellent. Features are a wash. My slight preference is based on niggly things and on my carry method. But the Kodak has a stronger flash and perhaps better low light focus. For that price difference the Kodak looks good.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 2:58 PM   #8

You really have to try the cameras out for yourself...I tried the Kodak and many other ultra zoom cameras at a camera show recently, and I found most too light...a little extra weight helps you steady the camera.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote