Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 10, 2008, 8:33 PM   #11

I have bought extened warranties in the past and I never seem to use them or put them some place that I forget the location.

Crinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 12:16 PM   #12

Cost/benefit/usage.

Complex ratio.

The extended warranty, purchased for my 2000 car (33k sticker price)the day the manufacturer's warranty was set to expire (in 2003), was a good deal for only $800. My claims have totaled well over $3k. I still drive the car every day and the extended warranty expires in 20 days.

Guess what, you most likely won't repair your camera, IF it could even be repaired. You most likely won't even keep the camera for the length of the extended warranty. So what you are buying is replacement insurance, for the camera that suffers from concrete impact disease. Good luck covering concrete impact disease with many of these extended warranties because the warranty will exclude abuse.

StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 12:47 PM   #13

StevieDgpt wrote:
Quote:
... Good luck covering concrete impact disease with many of these extended warranties because the warranty will exclude abuse.
Not even if the concrete jumped up and bit your camera? [suB]:-)[/suB]
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:39 AM   #14

If you have a lot of expensive camera gear your better off buying general camera insurance for all your gear.

In a previous life I owned a video business and I took out general insurance that cost me $300/year with full replacement value.

My office was broken into, and the only thing they stole was an old medium format viewfinder camera that I had bought used for $75. The replacement value (new) was well over $3,000 so instead I opted for $1,500 in cash.

Some of these insurances will compensate you if your gear is lost, stolen or dropped.

I'd say your getting beyond $5,000 worth of gear, then see if you can find $300 in general camera insurance for all your gear.

Or perhaps general business insurance, which might also cover you with a deductible.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 5:53 PM   #15

i have both a canon digital rebel and a recently purchased 40d

i had purchased the extended warranty from ritz camera for my digital rebel and after 3 repairs, and a mirror mechanism that was damaged, got a new out of the box rebel with no questions asked.

their esp plan covers everything except fire and/or theft...so yes, for me it was worth it!

yes, it is an older camera, but still works and i might extended the warranty for another year...so for a total of 5 years, i'll have a trouble free camera.
tdredi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 9:56 PM   #16

TCav wrote:
Quote:
StevieDgpt wrote:
Quote:
... Good luck covering concrete impact disease with many of these extended warranties because the warranty will exclude abuse.
Not even if the concrete jumped up and bit your camera? [suB]:-)[/suB]
I am sure if you can PROVE the concrete did indeed jump up and bite the camera then the warranty would apply.

Of course there are some laws of physics that might have to be violated for such action to take place. And video proof might be needed to prove your claim.

StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote