Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 22, 2008, 4:03 PM   #1

I am close to buying a Nikon D80 or the new D90 and I am wondering what the thought is on buying the extended warrantee's. TypicallyI don't buy them but thought maybe I better get some feedback. Plus warrantee prices seem to be all over the place.TIA!
WAgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2008, 4:26 PM   #2

Extended Warranties are like Term Life Insurance.

With Term Life Insurance, you're betting you'll die, and the insurance company is betting you won't, but a death certificate usually resolves any disputes.

With Extended Warranties, you're betting the product will fail, and the warranty company is betting it won't. The real problem is that the warranty company decides what's covered and what isn't, and they're holding the money.

I never buy extended warranties. If something fails before I think it should have, I just don't ever buy anything made by that company again.

I don't want a product with a long warranty; I want a product that doesn't break.

(I drive a Honda, btw.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 4:34 PM   #3

Well, another Honda driver here! Ha ha! I love your analogy with the term life insurance! Thanks so much for your input!!
WAgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 5:42 PM   #4

I agree - extended warranties are a money-maker for the company offering them. At some point in time though it's worthwhile to have your camera gear insured. The nice thing about insurance is it doesn't have a time limit and can (depending on the policy) cover theft, break due to user fault, etc. It's a risk tolerance thing. If you end up with $3000 worth of camera and lenses can you afford to re-buy it if someone steals it or your bag gets knocked off a table and they break.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 3:35 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Well it all depends.

Usually they are a rip-off, and my usual answer is "no thanks". But not always. For things like TVs I never buy them because if the thing works out the box it usually keeps on working for a long time, and the manufacturers warrantee covers the first 12 months.

But...the best money I ever spent was an extended 3 year no-questions replacement policy to cover an in-car portable DVD player for my daughter. I figured it was a hostile environment and the item didn't look that robust to me. I'm now 2.5 years in and on my 3rd replacement (4th player) each one has been a newer model as these things tend to have a short shelf-life. So I've had about £600 worth of replacements on a £30 policy.

When I got my Canon 5D the usual price of a 3-year extended warrantee was £300 (on a £2000 item) which seemed too expensive to me, and I would not have bought it. But they were having a special "sale" on the extended warrantee down to £90, so I did buy it. Fortunately I have had no call to use it.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 4:52 PM   #6

As far as theft and breakage is concerned, often, your homeowner's, renter's or auto insurance will cover some if not all of that, depending on the circumstances.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 7:56 PM   #7

On average, all insurance/extended warrantees are loosing propositions for the indidual and winners for the company issuing them. If the company did not pay out less than it took in they would not stay in bussiness very long. A good rule of thumb is that the more they are advertised and the more salemen push them, the more they are loosers for the buyer.

But "on average" does not deal with individual situations. Can you afford the loss? What happens if you do loose?

I insure my house, my car & truck, but not my toys.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 2:04 PM   #8

Extended warranties are a money makers for the companies you buy them from but then again how much would I have paid out of pocket when the sensor on my camera went dead? It's a gamble, how is your luck.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 9:39 PM   #9

i think it depends on what your buying and how much the waranty is, for $50 dollars i got a 3 year warranty on my camera, i figure i use it almost every day, so i think the $50 is not much to ask for to get a decent warranty.
Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2008, 10:07 AM   #10

It is a personal decision no doubt! I am generally not "an extended warranty person" either. I did purchase one through Circuit City on my 20D which has proven to be a reliable model. 9 days out of factory warranty the shutter went out and a couple of weeks ago my flash mount was knocked lose by a man tripping in a stadium at a theme park and when he reached over to brace himself ( I was sitting ) he hit my flash. Mine covers 5 years and accidental dropping as well.

Both times I had the camera out and back in 7 days. Mine does cover accidental damage and is for 5 years. I am getting ready to purchase a Sony H50 point and Shoot and will get the coverage as well.

Good luck with your decison.

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote