Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 29, 2002, 4:54 PM   #1

Default computer to compact flash?

I think I might have been given duff gen today in a local camera shop. I asked if it was possible to put pics back onto the compact flash from the pc and was told yes. Is this really possible and how is it done. The person giving me the advice said the CF is read as another drive so I just have to drag and drop. I tried this on an old Fuji before and it didn't work.

:P
Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2002, 6:52 PM   #2

Using a card reader. Some cameras may be recognized like a drive, or so I've heard. Mine isn't. Also you can use some software and put pics back on FC I think. AR

[Edited on 7-29-2002 by A Ridge]
A Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 7:23 AM   #3

Rosemary,
Some older readers are just that, you will see alot of readers identified as reader/writer now, but most new ones will do both.
Software that comes with most digicams will upload and download pics to camera.
If the fuji reader is the first they produced, got one in a junk box somewhere. cannot even find drivers at their site for it.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 10:16 AM   #4

also if you have done any work (altered in any way) on the images including rotating it changes the backround info (EXIF data)in each image. any changes and a lot of cameras will not accept it as an image file of its making thus it will not show. a lot of us pull down our images and save them just like a slide or nagative keeping it original. then we create new images without altering the original. those originals should be able to be placed back into a cf card with a reader/writer and then shown on the camera.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2002, 5:30 PM   #5

:?: I am very new at this. I have a fuji 2800zoom. I altered some pics and then tried to upload back to my card. They did not show as rec'd there but I was told they are not read as pics by the camera at that stage but they are still there never the less. I took them to Ritz Camera to have printed and some of their cardreader machines were unable to retrieve them. However, one did and I had the prints with no problem. The next time,I went to another Ritz and the same thing happened. The third Ritz Camera store could not print on any of their machines. It sounds as if this is Russian roulette when I alter pics and upload them back onto the card. It may depend on where I take them to get them printed. Thanks for all of your input. I just found this site and it is great!
hondabarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2002, 6:48 PM   #6

when you edited the image you change information. if you saved the images back to the original name you probably dumped the EXIF data which is a tag in your image that identifies its origin and other info relating to color and printing. now your camera treats it like foeign data.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2002, 7:02 PM   #7

If the card files can be read by a pc reader, then it's hard to see why they can't be read in the shop.

A point in common, is most cams create a unique directory name structure, where files are stored. The file and directory naming system are probably important to them being read in the cam, so always preserve the same filename,Exif data and directory when uploading.

I suspect most shop readers will look first in sub-directories - not in the root directory where they might have been copied back from a pc.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2002, 4:29 AM   #8

That brings out another question, What if I had to change the photo like lighten it up or make it darker or sharper, than put it back on the card so I can have a better picture than what I origionaly took?
If I saved it as a .JPG but renamed it, would that be ok? or will I have to be stuck with what cames right out of the camera when I bring the card to WalMart?
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2002, 8:40 AM   #9

Bill, please see my reply to your other post re JPEG quality. Recommend you always make copies of the original files first.

If you want to use the cam flash card as portable storage, I'd get a big card for the cam and use the smaller card which came with it, or burn CD or take other media to the store. I wouldn't trust leaving a big expensive card in any store, and you risk screwing up your cam cards format, so it won't shoot pics anymore. The exception might be if you're on the road and need pics quickly.

Your edited pictures can be 'improved', but if your pics are very wrong straight off the cam, I'd try to find out why and get them better at this stage first. Don't regard editors as a panacea for sorting everything out. Sharpening for example isn't magic, it might only enhances edges - doesn't make up for pixels in the cam. Exposure compensation is handy in small doses, but if the pic is vastly under/over exposed, original detail may be gone forever and noise artefacts become a problem on large prints.

There are posts here about batch renaming files. Not sure that renamed and corrected files put back will be read by the cam, unless they are exactly the same name and in the right directory. If you've saved them back after editing they could be a different size/resolution from what the cam expects. I had this problem on an older cam.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2002, 7:23 PM   #10

Thanks voxmagna, I got your answer on the other post today, I appreciate your help. I will make a directory on the HD in the computer and put the photos in there from the camera, when I have enough I will burn a CD and after making sure I can read the CD will delete the photos in that HD folder.
I always burn at "disk-at-once" never "track-at-once' had too many problems with it before, could have been that my ACER 6206A 2X burner had no buffer under run, I now have a RS 6X4X6, it does have the buffer underun, got it at closeout for $40, works great!
Thanks again guys!
Great forum!
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote