Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 21, 2008, 1:27 AM   #1

Hello all,

I've been taking pictures of my dog. Using natural light. The light in this room is low so using my 50mm f/1.8 the aperture stays around 1.8-3.2. I'm in P mode. How would I get more DOF (more of the subject in focus). Obviously I need more light. Would using the pop-up-flash help in this circumstance?

I also tried increasing the ISO manually but the aperture stays the same (I'm in (Auto ISO mode). I mean I see that I have increased the ISO to the speed I wanted. Have tried increasing to ISO 400. Still the aperture stays in the same range...1.8-3.2.

Thanks.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2008, 7:37 AM   #2
Administrator

Indoors, it's not uncommon to need ISO 1600 or 3200 to get shutter speeds fast enough to minimize blur from subject movement, even shooting with a bright prime at wider apertures.

For more depth of field, shoot from further away (don't fill the frame as much with your subject), and use a smaller aperture (represented by a higher f/stop number). You can use Av mode (Aperture Priority) and set the aperture yourself. See this depth of field calculator:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

But, your shutter speeds will drop if you use an aperture that gives you more depth of field. So, you'll probably need a flash indoors if you want to do that.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:42 AM   #3

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
... Have tried increasing to ISO 400. Still the aperture stays in the same range...1.8-3.2.
You "tried" to increase the ISO - did it work? If you don't know how to read the EXIF data in your photos to find out, that is the first thing you should do. Likely an EXIF reader came with the software included with your camera and if it didn't, ask in the forum for your camera since some readers get more data out than others for each specific camera.

If you did increase the ISO and the aperature stayed the same, that means the camera is increasing the shutter speed. (Again, look at the EXIF data to see if that is what happened.)

Your basic choice is to increase the sensitivity (ISO) or to increase the amount of light so you can use a smaller aperature (larger f/number). The pop-up flash will increase the amount of light and also add glare, harsh shadows, and green-eye in your dog (red-eye in people). You should try the flash so you know what it does. I hate flash, esp the little built in pop-up units, but sometimes that is the only way to get a photo.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:53 AM   #4

Thanks guys. Will definitely try using Av. Don't know why I didn't think of it at the time. Shoot from father away. I was sort of close as this room is small. Would partly explain why I would always get my dog's face in focus but the rest of his body in blur (along with the rest of the scene). As for using ISO speeds of 1600 or 3200...will try that too.

I assumed using a flash (or the pop-up flash) would help give me smaller aperture settings while in P mode. Wasn't sure. Will my dog have green eyes? Will find out soon enough.

And I do have a monopod with me (staying in LA while waiting for my new home to be built in Toronto...orig from Toronto) so should the shutter speeds drop that much...
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:19 PM   #5

If you're going to use the flash, give Manual exposure a try. Dial in f8 and 1/60, ISO 800 or 1600 (so you don't get such a stark flash look). Manual mode was invented so you could tell the camera what to do not rely on it's suggestions. Given the small room thing, the built in should be strong enough for the above settings to work.

In the end, an SB600 or 800 will be a good addition to your kit. You can bounce it and get much better IQ.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 1:07 PM   #6

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
If you're going to use the flash, give Manual exposure a try.* Dial in f8 and 1/60, ISO 800 or 1600 (so you don't get such a stark flash look).* Manual mode was invented so you could tell the camera what to do not rely on it's suggestions.* Given the small room thing, the built in should be strong enough for the above settings to work.

In the end, an SB600 or 800 will be a good addition to your kit.* You can bounce it and get much better IQ.
Thanks JohnG. Noted. I just happened, at the time, to be shooting in P mode. Experimenting. Course semi-manual or full-manual modes would have given me more latitude. Will definitely try your recommended setting.

As for an external flash...I have the SB800. But it's back in Toronto stored away. So I'll have to make do with the pop-up when needed.