Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 23, 2008, 9:39 PM   #11

I wouldn't call it a dupe, exactly, but it is a nice way for the salesman to make a few extra bucks, especially if the customer is new to cameras, and worried about making mistakes.

There are cases where I would use a protective filter, such as for trackside motorsports, courtside beach volleyball. or shooting from a moving boat, esp. on salt water. Basically, any activity which is putting a lot of grit and/or wet into the air. Other than that, I find that a lens hood, and awareness of where my camera is, is sufficient to protect my lenses.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 9:50 PM   #12

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't call it a dupe, exactly, but it is a nice way for the salesman to make a few extra bucks, especially if the customer is new to cameras, and worried about making mistakes.

There are cases where I would use a protective filter, such as for trackside motorsports, courtside beach volleyball. or shooting from a moving boat, esp. on salt water. Basically, any activity which is putting a lot of grit and/or wet into the air. Other than that, I find that a lens hood, and awareness of where my camera is, is sufficient to protect my lenses.

brian
I completely understand. And I'll keep my crappy Optex UV filter for the odd occasion where I'm in the fishing boat with pals, trying to grab shots at the snowmobile race and on the beach when I'm photographing swimsuit models (in my dreams). Otherwise I think I'll try to live without it.

Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:12 AM   #13

I'd like to emphasize the point made by John and Brian: a lens hood will offer some protection to your lens. Not only will it keep direct light hitting your lens from the side, it will also keep twigs/rocks/small elfs/... from hitting the lens.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 9:40 PM   #14

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to emphasize the point made by John and Brian: a lens hood will offer some protection to your lens. Not only will it keep direct light hitting your lens from the side, it will also keep twigs/rocks/small elfs/... from hitting the lens.
- And the prongs on the petal-shaped hoods are really great for prodding bystanders out of the way.:evil:

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 8:27 PM   #15

I think it would depend on your situation whether to leave them on or take them off. I leave mine on all the time since my kids like to shove their little hands into my lens when I try to take their pictures.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:42 AM   #16

Most pro's I know do not use a lens filter.

They simply take care of their lenses.

As JimC suggested, if your very concerned you could probably get by with a lens hood that would protect against day to day bangs and scratches.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote