Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 16, 2003, 5:19 PM   #11

Default Re: The older

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalypso
I think I've been hanging out at the wrong lumberyard!
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 11:08 PM   #12

Default Re: Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalypso
I must be crazy then (a possibility). I have 2, 8x10's on my wall within 4 inches of each other. One was taken with a 2.1mp C2100, the other was taken with a 5mp Dimage 7i. Unless you took them out of the frames & used a loupe on them, I would bet you $500.00 that you couldn't tell which print came from which camera.
I have a wide format printer and have begun to appreciate that anything smaller than 13 X 19 gets lost on my wall. I can see the difference between 5Mp and a two shot vertical pano that gives 8+Mp. It is a Canon S9000 and I could probably see more difference if I had a higher resolution S9100.

If you are using a 3 year old printer it is probably hard to tell the difference.

My point isnít to disparage your equipment but to point out that those images will still be important memories 10 or 20 years from now when equipment will be incredibly better.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 3:45 AM   #13

Default Re: Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe
If you are using a 3 year old printer it is probably hard to tell the difference.

My point isnít to disparage your equipment but to point out that those images will still be important memories 10 or 20 years from now when equipment will be incredibly better.
I want to thank everyone for their imput, I've come to the conclusion any of these camera's would be a good choice for my first digicam. My needs are really not that demanding, my computer and printer are going on ten years old. Artistic photography is not one of my intended uses for the camera. I'm not that sentamental about capturing memories, my parents and siblings have all passed on, I have no children, and my wife and I are so camera shy, that with the possible exception of drivers liscences and work ID's, neither of us have posed for a personal photo in more than ten years. In fact rummaging through a box of old military uniforms in the garage, I recently found an old 110 film camera the other day, with a roll of film I started while still on active duty, we had it developed, and the few picures that hadn't completely deteriorated by sitting undeveloped for so long, showed scenes from the celebrations following the "Fall of the Wall" in Berlin in 1990. It occured to me, I haven't finished a roll of film, in 13 years!
Boxlock is offline   Reply With Quote