Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 15, 2003, 11:53 AM   #1

Default Similar value to Fuji FP 3800 @ $220?

I've been doing my best to read up on models before posting but there doesn't seem to be any similar cameras for under $250. Buy.com has the 3800 on rebate for $220 and it sounds like a great camera. I don't need that much zoom (but want some), would mainly use it as a point and shoot (although I want atleast minimal manual controls), and wouldn't mind having a pocket camera instead. It seems like some of the pocket Canons are popular but none of the comparable ones are under $300?
Thanks,
Matt
mbrennan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2003, 12:28 PM   #2

My next door neighbor has a 3800 and absolutely loves it. Great little camera for that price with a 6X optical zoom.

Keep in mind that you absolutely have to include the cost of a larger xD card and a decent charger and batteries. I have a camera that uses xD cards and it is the only thing I can say I really donít like about it. Most printers with card readers wonít read xD and the Oly and Fuji xD/SM readers are overpriced. xD Cards are also overpriced compared to CF. You can download from the camera but I would get an extra set of batteries Ė they are fairly cheap.

You can get by with a 128Mb xD card Ė 256Mb would be better but you seem to be on a budget. The included 16Mb card isnít very useful as you canít take many pictures at good quality.

Even with the extra costs you canít touch a 6X optical zoom, EVF, microphone etc for that price. I would recommend getting the MAHA charger from Thomas with some high capacity PowerX batteries. Both the charger and batteries are always rated tops in tests. http://www.nimhbattery.com/mh-c204f-4aa220dc.htm
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 12:43 PM   #3

The Fuji 3800 was one of the cameras that I consider buying before I purchased my Oly C740Z. Had the price been $220, I would have bought the Fuji 3800 and would not have hesitated. Here is a link to newegg.com for xd picture card memory:

http://www.newegg.com/app/Viewproduc...rchFor=olympus
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 4:16 PM   #4

Many new HP printers with card readers do read xD, although right now they are limited to the 256meg cards, there's a new firmware for the printers being developed (it was discussed with HP earlier this week).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 6:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
Many new HP printers with card readers do read xD, although right now they are limited to the 256meg cards, there's a new firmware for the printers being developed (it was discussed with HP earlier this week).
Unfortunately HP photo printers arenít up to Canon and Epson, and they use a lot of ink. Didnít know they have added xD as I donít usually consider them. Do they make a wide format photo printer yet?
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote