Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:20 PM   #11

Thanks Arizona but Boston already posted that same link. Earlier in this thread. Have visited this site a while back (as I've mentioned to Boston). It is useful. They even offer iPhone/iTouch support. So you can access the DOF calculator in the field. But I think if we play around with it for a few minutes that should suffice.

Have a good week!

Dec 8th, 2008...Btw...I recently came across a DOF photo editing program designed to give us more control over the DOF we want. By using several photos of the same scene. AF on different parts of that scene. Sort of like creating a HDR photo. See here...

http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfocus.html

I might pick up a copy one day.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:43 PM   #12

Good shot! It's really difficult to throw the background completely out of focus especially with a short-zoom like a 17-55mm. You'd usually get better results with longer lenses.

The other problem here is that the back of the chair(background) is relatively too close to the subject. I'd do this completely on Manual mode--manual everything: focus, exposure et al! Sometimes modern cameras do tend to overcompensate and "second-guess" what you're trying to do or they won't do anything at all.

Another simple rule of thumb: If you want to throw the background out-of-focus, make sure that the subject is closer to the camera than he is to the background. This works even if you don't have a really wide maximum aperture.

Just try it!
Abs.Abando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 12:18 PM   #13

Photoshop CS4 also has the ability to take several photos with different focus points and merge them together to make one picture with deeper than normal DOF. I was more impressed with it than I was with CS4's HDR merging (but I may have chosen a poor subject). The disadvantage is that it really requires a good tripod and a fair amount of patience to adjust the focus, manual focus would be pretty much a must (though CS4 does have the ability to line up frames that aren't quite the same - takes a lot of time and memory). And it would be no good for a live or moving subject.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 7:56 PM   #14

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Photoshop CS4 also has the ability to take several photos with different focus points and merge them together to make one picture with deeper than normal DOF. I was more impressed with it than I was with CS4's HDR merging (but I may have chosen a poor subject). The disadvantage is that it really requires a good tripod and a fair amount of patience to adjust the focus, manual focus would be pretty much a must (though CS4 does have the ability to line up frames that aren't quite the same - takes a lot of time and memory). And it would be no good for a live or moving subject.
Good to know. But the only drawback of CS4 is the price of admission. I think a full version runs $699.99 USD. That and CS4 is really tailored to the advanced photo editor user IMHO. I think the software I posted would be more accessable to the masses.

ANd sure. Taking this kind of approach to getting more DOF, requires a lot of fore thought. Which you can't always do. Especially with any subject that isn't inanimate.

But it is good to know there are two software alternatives if you plan to "force" more DOF. For me I was just taking experimental shots of my dog in a very tiny room. Lucky I managed the shots I did.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 9:11 PM   #15

You can probably buy an old Mac G3 or G4 with photoshop on it, used, for less than $300 - check Craigslist.

It might not be CS4 though.

Just another way to approach the problem.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 9:43 PM   #16

No argument about CS4 not being cheap! Adobe does have a very nice academic discount, if you have some connection with a school (student kids, etc.). I was just mentioning it because there are people like me who are long-time Photoshop users and have the program anyway, so they know that they don't have to get a separate program.

The ability to merge frames to increase DOF is new to CS4, so getting an old version of CS3 won't give you this capability (unless it is one that comes with a free upgrade to CS4 - our student store was offering that just before CS4 shipped). On the other hand, if you don't mind skipping the new interface and the couple of new features like this, then getting a used computer with CS3 installed is an excellent idea.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 9:46 PM   #17

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
You can probably buy an old Mac G3 or G4 with photoshop on it, used, for less than $300 - check Craigslist.

It might not be CS4 though.
It won't be.

CS4 won't run on anything less than a G5.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 10:01 PM   #18

I'm presently running an Apple MacBook Pro laptop. 4GB of RAM. 2.5GHz Cpu. Has the juice to run CS4. But again. Unless you've been playing around with earlier versions. Simpler versions for a couple of years. I don't think it would be a good idea for any one to hop, skip and jump into CS4. As a matter a fact I think it is probably overkill for most photo editors.

I am presently using iPhoto and Aperture 2.0 (for any real PP work). For now Aperture more than suits my needs. Perhaps in time, if I feel the need, I might invest in a full copy of CSx.

For now. Should I feel inclined to force more DOF I'll probably buy the software from Heliconsoft. I think it costs only $250.00. But normally I wouldn't be shooting in such a small room. Especially if I wanted to have more control over DOF.

Night. Merry Xmas folks!!
Old Dec 24, 2008, 11:07 PM   #19

Your camera is focusing on your dog's face. You're using an aperture of f/2.8. The depth of field includes a few inches in front of your dog's face(which you don't care about), and a few inches behind your dog's face (which you need more of.) Try focusing on his ear or the top of his head, use Focus Hold, compose, and then shoot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote