Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 23, 2008, 11:28 PM   #1

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have had this camera for almost a year now, but becoming very frustrated with pictures taken in darker situations. For instance, I had a party for my husbands 50th! this weekend. I ended up choosing the ISO setting on the camera to get the best picture, however some turned out yellow. Not sure how I can set the camera for a perfect shot without adjusting the settings each time. This camera takes great pictues outside, but I have so many problems indoors. Really need your help. Thank you
KDal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2008, 12:36 AM   #2

This is typical of most digital cameras. There should be a way for you to choose White Balance manually. Setting it to the 'tungsten' setting should give you much better color.

If you have editing software, you may be able to correct your existing pictures by using the "Remove Color Cast" or "White Balance" adjustment.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:01 AM   #3

Thank you Brian. I will try that setting and see if it makes a difference. I was about ready to buy a new one as it is so frustrating. From what I hear, most cameras are like this indoors. I appreciate your reply. Karen
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:06 AM   #4

Just checked my camera, I have 3 florescent settings and an Incandescent....not a tungsten. So, not sure what to do.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:07 AM   #5

Forgot one more thing. What is a good photo software program?
Old Nov 25, 2008, 4:46 PM   #6

Incandescent = tungsten. That is what will get rid of the yellow color cast. Bet that you only saw it with the flash either off or out of range, right?

For photo editing, many amateurs use Photoshop Elements. Version 7.0 is out now, and runs about $90. It is very capable and so versatile that you will need to spend some time working through the tutorials and maybe buy a book to get the most out of it, but it also has step-by-step menus for the most common and basic tasks like red-eye removal, cropping, and color correction.

Other folks are going to howl about PSE and tell you about their favorites, and there are other good ones out there, but very few software packages do as much for as low a price as PSE, and none more I would venture to say.
docmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 1:03 AM   #7

KDal wrote:
Quote:
Just checked my camera, I have 3 florescent settings and an Incandescent....not a tungsten. So, not sure what to do.
I see you got an answer already. I should have mentioned Incandescent as well as Tungsten. Some call it one and some the other, but it is basically the same thing.

As far as editing software goes, there are quite a few choices, from free to expensive, and simple to complicated. If you are not sure what you want to do with an editor, try out some of the free ones, such as Picasa, which is, as I understand, basically an organizer/viewer, which has some editing functions. FastStone image viewer is another. Both will let you adjust colors/lighting, remove redeye, convert to monochrome, etc. More advanced programs, such as Paint Shop Pro, Photoimpact, and Photoshop Elements are available for (I believe) under $100, and will do nearly anything you could want, unless you are a graphics professional.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 7:34 PM   #8

If you have a Mac - I use iPhoto.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 7:25 PM   #9

Do a price search and you can find Paint Shop Pro for about $(US) 38.00. ACDSee Photo Manager 10, another excellent program,is about $(US) 46.00

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 9:22 AM   #10

Ok, I have tried adjusting my camera to the settings you all recommended...but, still have a problem with indoor shots. I am seriously considering buying another camera! Christmas is coming up, and I do not want the pictures to look terrible. Can anyone tell me the exact program settings for the perfect picture indoors in the evening. Or, tell me what compact camera for easy indoor shots. I am not a pro and like auto settings. Thank you!