Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 19, 2008, 3:23 AM   #1

Hi ,can someone help to educate me please.
I took some shots using a canon 40D and was advised to shoot them in RAW format. Now I got some beautiful shots but when I took them to get printed they came back all pinky, obviously in hindsight I am now aware that you need to do something to them to get them printed off. So what do I need to do to them,( I have element 6 and iphoto)
thanks in advance
bonjen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2008, 4:40 AM   #2
Super Moderator

If they are coming back with a pink tint this is due to the white balance so you need to adjust this a little. Sorry to say that I don't use either of the editors that you mention so can't advise on that. With the RAW conversion software you should be able to adjust white balance at this point.

RAW v jpg is a huge debate but personally I never use RAW any longer both for my own 'fun' shooting or for my paid work. I used to shoot weddings in it but found that there were limited gains for the additional processing time. If exposure was off then yes RAW can help and also there is a little more dynamic range but not enough IMHO for my clients to notice or for me to justify the extra time spent.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008, 9:14 AM   #3

What format are you converting to prior to print? MOst places don't print RAW format - they need to be jpeg or some other compressed format.

Also, most printing operations use RGB color space not Adobe. So when you're editing for print it's always best to end up in RGB so you get an idea of what the photos will look like.

Then, it's beneficial to have a calibrated monitor - so you can trust the colors you're seeing on the monitor are true to the digital image.

Then when shots are printed - many of the standard print places apply their own color correction. I personally hate it when they do that so I don't use places that don't let me disable that feature.

In the end, Mark is most likely correct - WB is off - but these are some other factors that can cause printed colors to be different than what you saw on your monitor.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008, 6:25 PM   #4

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
If they are coming back with a pink tint
I wouldn't call it a "tint" more of a bubble gum pink as if someone had done a bad job of pop art on them
Old Dec 19, 2008, 6:31 PM   #5

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
What format are you converting to prior to print?*

I am not doing anything at all, I just put them on a disc and took them for processing, obviously I know now that I need to do something first! :lol:

Im just learning how to use the different settings on the camera and my exposure is often out. a friend who helps me out rescuing my favourite photos said it would be easier if I shoot in RAW.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 8:05 PM   #6

bonjen3 wrote:
Quote:
... a friend who helps me out rescuing my favourite photos said it would be easier if I shoot in RAW.
True, it is easier to rescue a photo if it was shot in RAW. It is even easier to get a good photo if the settings are right in the first place - well worth figuring out how to do that. Not always possible, which is why I have my camera set to shoot RAW+JPEG when it sits in my bag. If I am going to shoot a bunch in the same condition, I will switch to JPEG only since it is well worth the time to figure out the proper exposure/white balance/...
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:36 AM   #7

I'm another who shoots raw + if I'm not concerned about disk space, but often use the jpg version to print. I've never used Elements, but I do have iPhoto on my computer (which I never use and don't know very much about). If you open a raw file in iPhoto, click the edit button (looks like a pencil) on the lower left tool bar, it brings up the photo with a number of other controls on that bar. Choose the "adjust" icon and it will bring up a bunch of options. Part-way down is one that says "tint" and has what is supposed to be an eye dropper to the left of it - that's a color sampler. Click on the icon, and then click on something that's supposed to be white or grey on your picture - that will change the white balance of the picture. It does work (I tried it with one of my raw files). Then it would probably be best if you then exported the file to a jpg format (save as the highest quality) for printing - that way you don't have to worry about how your printer interprets the raw file.

I know you can do the same thing in Elements, but don't have the program to see how to do it. Good luck with it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote