Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 19, 2008, 7:52 PM   #1

I'm new to photography, but I work outside an see so many amazing thing, I have to start.

I'm choosing between the Cannon XSI and the Nikon D60, I noticed the Cannon has an ISO 100 and the Nikon has a ISO100-1600, can someone give me a brief expanation to what each means.Also which camera they would choose, for shooting wildlife(bald Eagles, seals whales) , landscapes(sunrises, high seas), and of course, i'm expecting a new bay so family photos.

Thanks for any input for this noob!!!
bozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2008, 8:51 PM   #2

There are three factors that affect exposure:
  • Aperture - The amount of light that passes through the lens to the image sensor.[/*]
  • Shutter Speed - The amount of time the image sensor is exposed to light.[/*]
  • ISO Setting - The sensitivity of the image sensor to light.
[/*]
Each time you double the aperture, twice as much light gets through the lens. Each time you double the exposure time, twice as much light gets to the the image sensor. Each time you double the ISO Setting, the image sensor is twice as sensitive to light. So, under the same circumstances,a higher ISO setting allows you to use a faster shutter speed (to capture action) or a smaller aperture (to get a larger depth of field.) But the way that ISO works is it amplifies the signal received by each of the photoreceptors. Since photoreceptors always have a small amount of spurious signal in their circuits, amplifying the signal too much also makes that spurious signal, ornoise, more apparent. So increasing the ISO setting increases image noise. At some point it becomes noticable, even objectionable, but that point varies with the image, so there's no good way to predict when it will be too high. That's why you can set it to any of a range of values, but in general, you're better off withthe lowest setting.

The Canon XSi has a range of ISO settings from 100-800, and can go up to 1600 in certain circumstances. The Nikon D60 has a range of ISO settings from 100-1600, and can go up to 3200 in certain circumstances.

For wildlife and small children (which are basically just another form of wildlife [suB]:-)[/suB]), the Canon XSi has a much better autofocus system, and it also has a better selection of lenses than the Nikon D60.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008, 9:07 PM   #3

TCav, Thanks so much for the explanation, that really helped!!
bozz is offline   Reply With Quote