Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 21, 2003, 9:56 AM   #1

Default Buyer's Guide and Digicam Basics?

Where can I find a gude to digital cameras for the new or perspective camera buyer?

I recently sold all my film based camera equipment, and am looking to replace it with a digital camera this Christmas. Cost is a factor, but I am looking for a 3mpix or better camera. It needs to be as versitile as possible. I will be using it for outdoor photography - landscapes to macro. I would like as large a zoom ratio as reasonable. The camera should not be overly bulky, so my wife (small hands) can use it for general family picture taking as well.

In other words (like everyone) I want it all and don't want to pay much.
Rocketman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2003, 10:43 AM   #2

I will suggest the Olympus C740, 3.2mp, 10X optical zoom, xd picture card.

You can check prices at www.dealtime.com. Camera should run about $350 plus $50 for 128mb xd card.

You can check some of my sample photos at

www.pbase.com/gibsonpd3620

click on the 740 sample pics.

The Olympus C750, 4mp, 10X optical zoom will cost about $100 more for the camera.

You can also check out the Fuji S5000 at dealtime.com. The camera will run about the same as the C740. It is 3.2 mp and also has sound with video which the c740 does not have sound.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 9:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Where can I find a gude to digital cameras for the new or perspective camera buyer?
You're looking at it --Steve's DigiCams: The best way to sort out the technical facts from the hype is by reading 'user' forum discussions; and Steve's DigiCams has the best honest, low-stress forums discussions on the net (IMHO).
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 9:56 PM   #4

Between this forum and the reviews here and the reviews at:

http://www.dcresource.com/

I think you should be able to narrow down your selections. Once you've got it narrowed down, I would go out to a store and find the cameras, play around with them a little. See which one feels best and which one seems easier to use. Take a look at pictures from all the cameras you're interested in too, see which ones you like best.

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote