Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 14, 2009, 10:26 AM   #1

Well, after much research on this forum. I've gone ahead with the purchase of a Canon SX. I've experimented with the camera somewhat and so far, am very happy.

Now for the help questions:

Basketball games, tried it out in 2 different gyms and the lighting appears to be fine w/o flash.

I used the sports mode and the problem isn't the light as much as the blury legs moving. It seams the fans in the background are in more focus?

1)should I set my ISO to 1600 to clear this up? If I do,do Ineed to go manual and not shoot in sports mode?

2) if I do go manual. will I still be able to shoot in burst mode and get the 3 fps?

3) faster lens' I understand the aperature numbers and letting more light in. but from what I've seen thus far light isn't the problem. The issue seems to be capturing the "shot" clearly.

I plan on purchasing a "faster" lens for indoor sports. just need a little guidance. and stay within a limited budget.

I'm recreation only!

Once again. thanks a million!

Homebrew5454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2009, 10:50 AM   #2

The 'blury legs' you're seeing is motion blur due to subject movement. The way to cure that is to increase the shutter speed, but you don't have enough light to do that. So 'light' is the problem.

To fix this, you can go with a larger aperture or a higher ISO Setting, but you'll probably need to do both. JohnG has posted lots of info about how to do exactly what you want to do. I suggest you check his posts in the Sports & Action Photosforum.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 10:50 AM   #3

[suP]oops. [suB]:roll:[/suB][/suP]
Old Jan 14, 2009, 11:33 AM   #4

Sounds like you have 2 problems:

1. Mis focus

2. Motion blur.

Both your assumptions are correct - you want to get out of sports mode and use manual exposure with ISO of 1600. Yes you'll still get the 3fps. But you do have to select AI-Servo focus mode and the burst mode. But as TCAV correctly pointed out, light will still be a problem. Unless you're in a pro arena - and a new one at that, you won't have enough light for an f3-5-5.6 lens to work and get the shutter speeds you need to stop action at ISO 1600. You'll need a lens capable of f2.0. To your eyes there is enough light but to the camera there isn't. So until you get an appropriate lens you won't be able to do anything more about the motion blur.

So now on to the focus issue. The issue you describe most often occurs because you are trying to photograph a subject that is too far away. Guess what? with a 55mm lens (I'm assuming you're using the kit lens) you're basically looking at a working range for shooting human sports of about 15 feet. Beyond that, the subject fills up too little of the frame and it's difficult for the camera to distinguish it from the backgrround so the camera thinks it's actually part of the background.

That's the first issue. Beyond that, your lens is going to have difficulty focusing fast enough to shoot sports in low light. So even with a good initial focus, as the subject moves the lens isn't letting in enough light for the camera to quickly determine focus and the lens doesn't have a fast enough focus motor to keep up with the action. So that compounds the problem.

So, if you want to correct your problems you'll need a new lens (like the 85mm 1.8) and you'll need to shoot within the working limits of the lens/camera (with the 85mm 1.8 the range is about 25 feet). The budget alternative is the 50mm 1.8 ($75) but with a range of only 15 feet it's really only good for shots from under the basket and it's slower to focus than the 85mm.

Feel free to stop down in the Sports forum after you get your new lens or if you have any other questions. There are a number of us there that shoot basketball and we can definitely help you out.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 11:56 AM   #5

Thanks everyone.

I'm looking on line for a lens that won't "break the bank" with a f/2.8 or f/2.0

As far as the distance. i can get fairly close, 1st row or to the side of the basket undernearth.

I'll keep experimenting with the stock lens for now, and with a new lens in the near future, Im sure I'll get some keepers before the season is over!

Old Jan 14, 2009, 11:58 AM   #6

Homebrew5454 wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking on line for a lens that won't "break the bank" with a f/2.8 or f/2.0
f2.8 won't be good enough with only ISO 1600 available to you.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:09 PM   #7

OK...stay in the f/2.0 or lower range???

probably will have to sacrific a zoom with that low f number?

or do they make a zoom with a f/2.0?

Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:16 PM   #8

Nobody makes a zoom lens with a maximum aperture of f/2.0 for the Canon mount.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:19 PM   #9

Thanks, makes it easier.

F/2.0 with the largest focal range within my budget.

All's I need to do now is find a good deal.

Located a 100mm f/2.0 for $375...But I need to keep looking.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:40 PM   #10

Homebrew5454 wrote:
Quote:
F/2.0 with the largest focal range within my budget.
Well, now, here's the rub. First, there are only 2 lenses to consider: 85mm 1.8 and 100mm 2.0 (the 135mm 2.0 is $1000).

Now is the rub - on your camera the 100mm 2.0 will be a bit too tight to shoot from the baseline. The baseline is where you're going to get your best shots from since you'll get faces and less likelihood of extraneous bodies in the way (still plenty of times when it does happen but less than when shooting from the side). That's the challenge with using prime lenses for something like basketball. When there's a wall behind you, you can't necessarily move backwards. So you need to decide WHERE you want to do the majority of your shooting from. The 85 is the better lens from the baseline, but the extra 15mm will help you if you shoot from the stands. From an image and focus standpoint both lenses are similar. So you need to choose the focal length based upon your shooting position.