Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 17, 2009, 8:30 PM   #1

I got a new VR 18-200 VR for Christmas. I went up today to buy a protection filter for the lense. I expected this item to be about $30.00 Cdn. I bought many things and when I got home I see I paid around $80. for a DG Filter UV 72mm. I don't even know what this is for and cannot find a good explanation on the net. Should I be keeping this or go back and exchange it for the Tiffen protection filter? Thank you from someone who has a lot to learn!

Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2009, 11:15 PM   #2

Shari, as I see it you have three choices. Keep the filter you bought, trade it for a cheaper one, or trade it for something besides a filter, and don't use one.

Many people will undoubtedly swear by a UV filter, citing many reasons, not the least among them being protection for the lens. That is a valid reason, and it is easier to wipe smudges off a filter than a lens. If you routinely shoot under adverse conditions (blowing sand, rain, etc.) then you will want a filter to provide an extra layer of defense for the front lens element.

On the other hand, some will say they never put a filter on, unless it's a polarizing filter, because of image degradation issues associated with "cheap" filters. I fall into this group, because I feel if you use a lens hood( which helps reduce lens flare), and take reasonable care with your expensive equipment, your risk of damaging the front of your lens is almost negligible, if my 40 years of slr history is typical.

The choice, ultimately, is yours, and you will get responses from both camps I'm sure. Whatever you decide at the end of the day will be the right decision for you.

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2009, 7:21 AM   #3

In addition to what Hawgwild said, you should also know that a filter will create vignetting at the wide end of you lens' zoom range. That is, the screw threads on the outside of the filter will block light getting to the lens. A way to avoid this is to get a thin filter which doesn't have those threads, but then you can't mount another filter (like a CP fliter), and your lens cap won't stay on. If you're worried about having to clean your lens too often, wait and see what happens when you leave your lens cap off for a while.

In general, a lens protection filter is a good idea, but there are circumstances where it's not, and a wide angle lens is one of them.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 2:40 PM   #4

Thank you both. I have been sick and have not had a chance to reply. We are going away this next week to Wickanninish Inn up the coast. A wonderful place for storm and nature shots. I will try with and without the filter and then make my decision.

Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2009, 7:13 PM   #5

If you decide that you want to keep some kind of protective filter and you notice vignetting at the widest angle with the one you're using now, there are filters designed specifically for wide angle lenses to minimize (or, hopefully, eliminate) vignetting. They likely cost a bit more, but they are an option.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote