Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 20, 2009, 12:20 AM   #1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gio83dj/2964335569/

This photo was taken with the Panasonic FZ28.

I am trying to figure out how the author of this photo took this picture(for my own learning).

1) What is the probablity that this author used post process processing with a editor like photoshop?

2) What is the probablity that it was taken in raw format instead of jpeg?
dman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2009, 4:47 AM   #2

dman777 wrote:
Quote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gio83dj/2964335569/

This photo was taken with the Panasonic FZ28.

I am trying to figure out how the author of this photo took this picture(for my own learning).

1) What is the probablity that this author used post process processing with a editor like photoshop?

2) What is the probablity that it was taken in raw format instead of jpeg?
1. Likely. Most images require some sort of post processing. As to exactly what was done, it's really impossible to tell. Since DOF is shallow, and it's difficult to achieve this with a P&S digicam (digicams have much larger DOF than DSLR's), there may have been some selective blurring applied.
2. There is no way of knowing this. Shooting in RAW doesn't necessarily lead to better results. It just gives you a little more leeway in correcting exposure in post processing. If it was shot in RAW, there was definitely some PP done.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:39 AM   #3

Most of the superzoom cameras have macro and supermacro modes which will give this kind of shallow DOF without resorting to post-processing, so it is possible to get this kind of shot straight from the camera.

One can't really tell form an image sized for web posting whether it was shot in RAW or jpeg, unless there is Exif data included. If you use an Exif viewer, such as PhotoME, it will give you enough information to make an informed guess. (many raw converters attach their own tags, and remove some camera data such as manufacturer note, etc.)

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2009, 2:40 AM   #4

selective blurring has definately been applied. The petals on the same focal plane as the water drop is more blur than the water drop itself.
TeddyTan is offline   Reply With Quote