Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 29, 2009, 5:58 PM   #1

For a Panasonic FZ28, would I notice the differences between the speed of the Lexar memory cards 133x versus 300x? This is strictly for taking picture....which would be jpegs most of the time...don't care about video. Main concern is getting good speed for taking low level light pictures and quickly(like concerts).
dman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2009, 6:41 PM   #2
Administrator

AFAIK, Lexar does not offer a 300x Secure Digital Card. They do offer a 300x CompactFlash Card now with UDMA support. But, not many cameras will take advantage of UDMA (and that's a CompactFlash only feature, and your camera takes Secure Digital cards instead).

Sandisk has a newer model of their Extreme III SDHC card that is rated by them at 30MB/Second (which works out to around 200x). But, I think it's very unlikely you'd see any performance difference going to a card that fast in your FZ28.

From one review I saw, even the new Panasonic DMC-G1 appears to "max out" at around 7.8MB/Second, with virtually identical writes times between a Lexar 133x SDHC Card and a Sandisk 30MB/Second Extreme III SDHC card. Usually, once you get to a certain card speed, the camera tends to become the bottleneck.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 7:13 PM   #3

wow, i didn't know that. did i waste my money buying such a fast card(x133)?
dman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 7:44 PM   #4
Administrator

With SDHC, it's more common to see cards rated by their Class designations now (with a Class 6 Card capable of sustaining 6MB/Second). Many Class 6 Cards are much faster than their rating would indicate though, but you really have to take them on a case by case basis for performance comparisons.

It doesn't hurt to have a faster card than your camera will take advantage of (and read speeds from a card reader may benefit). I just don't think I'd pay a big premium to get something faster than 133x for a model like yours.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote