Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 15, 2009, 3:17 AM   #1

Hi,

Having recently started to use my old Dimage 7 camera I decided to buy a new compact flash card. I could not believe that high cpacity cards were so cheap so purchased a 4GB Compact Flash card.
Unfortunately the camera doesnt want to write to the card ? I have a feeling it might be to do with the fact the compact flash card is an OEM High Speed Card ?
Any suggestions...

On a side note I saw a compact flash card that was type 1 ? Is this what I should be looking for ?
peterpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2009, 7:29 AM   #2
Administrator

The DiMAGE 7 is limited to cards of 2GB or smaller. 4GB cards require support for the FAT32 file system (and the DiMAGE 7 only supports FAT16). You can see more about different file system limitations in this table:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...systems#Limits

Keep in mind that 2GB was considered to be very large at the time your camera was introduced.

FAT32 is not used by any of the DiMAGE 7 series models (7, 7i, 7HI). The first model in this series to support FAT32 (allowing the use of card sizes greater than 2GB) was the DiMAGE A1.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:16 AM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

It *might* be possible to use it if you can format it using a 64KB Cluster Size with FAT16 (a cluster size that the file system was not originally designed to use). I've seen some users report being able to get 4GB Cards to work that way in some of the DiMAGE 7 series models.

Try this from a command prompt (you can get to one by using going to the Start menu and select Start>Run. Then, enter "command" (without the quotes) in the program box and press enter. Then, do this (substituting the correct drive letter for E

format E: /FS:FAT

You should see a drive letter assigned under "My Computer" for a CompactFlash card if you're using a reader. Make sure to use the correct drive letter instead of E:

If it asks if it's OK to use a 64KB cluster size, tell it yes (it will have to in order to format a 4GB Card with FAT16).

You may also be able to format it this way (you'd have to try it to find out, but I did find a few posts claiming this works with XP, giving you a FAT16 formatted 4GB drive using a 64KB Cluster size):

1. Right click on My Computer -> Manage.
2. You will be in computer management. On the left hand side, there's disk management under storage. Click on it.
3. Now you will see all the drives. Right click on the CompactFlash card
4. Format and choose FAT as file system (not the default of FAT32)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2009, 11:37 AM   #4

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the answer. I will try to format the card later on and let you know how I get on
peterpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2009, 12:22 PM   #5

I have the 7hi model, and JimC is correct about the card capacities, but I haven't tried using a larger card formatted externally , so don't know how that would work. Considering batterylife wth these models, though, it is unlikely that even a 2GB card would get filled upwith even 2 sets of batteries. I generally prefer to use multiple, smaller cards anyway, so as to avoid butting all my eggs in one basket, so to speak.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote