Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 24, 2003, 7:06 PM   #1

Default Owned a Finepix 3800 - looking smaller

Hi all! I am the current owner of a Fuji Finepix 3800. Pretty good camera with pretty nice images. However, it isn't really a "carry it in your pocket" type camera. I now realize that the size of the camera is what prevents me from taking it with me to more places.

I have looked at so many replacements that I am going nuts! Isn't there a small digital that takes really nice photos? I have been leaning towards the Kodak DX6340 or DX6440. However, I have also looked at a couple of Sonys (P-7, P-9) and Canons (S400, S45, S230). Also Olympus D-560. :? I am also open to other suggestions.

I reallly need some advice. I don't want to get something that I'll want to sell off again right away. ops:
athimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2003, 11:01 PM   #2

If you have grown to like the 6X zoom on your Fuji the closest you are going to come in a pocket camera is the Pentax 555 or 450. They both have a 5X zoom. You can pick up the 450 online for $379 with free shipping at buydig.com. The 555 is pricier Ė same basic camera with 5Mp. If that is too rich for you then you are going to have to settle for 3X on the optical zoom.

Buydig has the Minolta G500 for $326. It is small and very competent. I would buy it before paying more for the Canon S400. Even if you consider you will have to pay more for the SD cards than CF for the Canon you will get a nicer 5Mp camera for the same or less money IMO.

If you want to use the xD card you already have you are limited to Olympus and Fuji cameras I think. The Oly 560 is an economic choice if you donít want manual capabilities. It isnít as small as the G500 but is pocketable.

Iím not familiar with the Sony P7 and P9. Maybe you are referring to the P72 and P92 or perhaps the P8 and P10? If you donít use the manual mode on the Fuji and donít intend progressing to that point they are nice cameras. Iím not a fan of Memory Stick but it is about the same price as the xD card you currently use.

You ask if there isnít a small digital that takes really nice photos. All of these cameras will take very nice pictures. As will your Fuji. Some have more features, focus better in low light, have stronger or weaker flash units, allow different levels of user control, respond faster etc Ė but they all take nice pictures once you learn to use them.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 2:33 PM   #3

Default Narrowed down...I think

Well, after considering the info from slipe, I decided I needed to do more research. So...I think I have it narrowed down. If anyone knows about these cameras, I would appreciate some feedback:

Canon S45
Canon S230
Canon S400 (may be a bit expensive for me)
Olympus C50Z (also may be a bit expensive for me)
Olympus D-560Z
Sony DSC-P8
Pentax 450

My wife looked at the Kodaks and said that they were too large. (?)

Also, I have been reading a few bad things about Canons and errors. Are they true?

Thanks for the help.
athimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 5:33 PM   #4

Well the only 5Mp there is the Oly C50, and as I said I would have preferred the Minolta G500 instead had it been available when I bought my C50 mainly because it is a little more compact. I like the C50 though.

Of the 4Mp choices I like the 5X zoom on the Pentax 450. From your choices you donít seem to care whether a camera is basically point and shoot or has full controls, but the 450 has a pretty good range of user controls if you ever want to mess with that. The Pentax 450 also has a very nice lens.

Donít know what errors you are talking about with the Canons, but they seem pretty competent from the reports I have read.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote