Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 3, 2009, 4:33 PM   #1

I have a sony a100 that came with a "Tokina" 55-58 wide angle lens. I connected it to the "main" lens (sorry I'm a noob) and took a few pictures. I took pictures with the wide angle lens and without the lens because I wanted to compare what the pictures would look like.

The problem (at least I think it's a problem), is that the pictures aren't really any different. The dimensions of all pictures taken are 3872x2592. I guess I would have figured that the wide angle pictures would be "wider." Am I crazy?

Thanks!
armycopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2009, 4:51 PM   #2

What should be wider is the angle of view, not the physical image.

If you leave off the wide angle lens and zoom out to the widest view, and take a picture,and then, without moving or changing the camera or lens, put the wide angle lens back on, and take a picture, the second picture should have a wider angle of view than the first.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:06 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick response! I'll give it a shot (not pun intended) tomorrow!
Old Mar 4, 2009, 8:22 AM   #4

Sir, you are correct! It definitely adds more to the picture. The only odd thing I see is that i can't zoom completely all the way out with the wide angle lens on because the frame seems to get "clipped" on the edges.Although even without zooming all the way out, I can capture more in the picture than I can without the wide angle lens. Thanks for clarifying!

Old Mar 4, 2009, 9:55 AM   #5

Armycopter, TCav is ALWAYS correct. If you have any questions about your Sony, he's the one to ask! Welcome to the forums.
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:49 AM   #6

donp wrote:
Quote:
Armycopter, TCav is ALWAYS correct. If you have any questions about your Sony, he's the one to ask! Welcome to the forums.
You are too kind. More correctly, I'm standing on the shoulders of giants, some of whom are right here.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:52 AM   #7

armycopter wrote:
Quote:
It definitely adds more to the picture. The only odd thing I see is that i can't zoom completely all the way out with the wide angle lens on because the frame seems to get "clipped" on the edges.
While there may be a physical block that is keeping the lens from zooming any further, I beleive the "clipping" you're seeing is the barrel of the teleconverter.