Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 4, 2009, 7:13 PM   #1

Recently purchased a Pentax K200D.

I was shooting with it today when I noticed a black fleck on the viewfinder a little above and to the left of the central focus point.

I used the dust removal feature several times on the camera, but that did not get rid of this.

The fleck is visible in the viewfinder when I remove the lens so I know that is not the problem.

Is there a way to tell if this is on the sensor or the viewfinder itself? And if it is on either of those, is there a way/how would you suggest to remove it?
Edward B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2009, 7:28 PM   #2

If you see it in the optical viewfinder, it's not on the sensor, and the dust removal feature won't do anything.

If the image of the 'black fleck' is sharp, it's probably on the focusing screen at the top of the mirror box behind the lens, If it's not sharp, it could be on the mirror or on the eyepiece.

Cleaning any of them is simple, but the eyepiece is the simplest. A damp Q-Tip should be able to clean it without a problem. If it's on the mirror or the focusing screen, a damp Q-Tip will probably also work, but be gentle. You could probably see it with the unaided eye, so get in, be gentle, and get out.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 8:31 PM   #3

Thanks for the help.

It is sharp when the lens is attached. Less so when the lens is detached.

I''m guessing it is likely on the focusing screen.

It is distracting when shooting, but it doesn't look like it's appearing on any images (and it shouldn't if it's on either the viewfinder or the focusing mirror from what I understand).

Would using compressed air (like the cans used to clean computer keyboards) work okay on the focusing mirror or would that cause problems?

I'd like to get rid of it, but if it's more likely I'll damage the camera, I'll live with it.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 9:16 PM   #4

NO! DO NOT USE COMPRESSED AIR!

Don't use anything that could damage the mirror. Your bathroom mirror is silvered on the back, so the silvering is protected by the glass. The mirror in a dSLR is a front surface mirror, meaning that the silvering is on the front of the glass. If you use anything that is even the least bit abrasive, you can permanently damage the silvering. A blower-brush should work ok.If you don't already have one, you can usedamp Q-Tip (damp, not wet, and dampened with distilled or filtered water), twisting the swab handle against the direction of the swipe, so that the fleck will be picked up and away from the mirror surface by the cotton.

If it's the focusing screen, that's more durable than the mirror. You can use a blower-brush, a damp Q-Tip, or a lens cleaning cloth. But be gentle!
Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:25 AM   #5

A blower-brush is just a squeeze-blower, right? Same principle behind the compressed air (blow air to remove dust), but instead of compressed air it has a bulb at the end that you squeeze with your hand, forcing air out? Like one of those old-style baby snot ball things?
Old Mar 5, 2009, 1:11 PM   #6

Yes, except it also has a brush at the nozzle.