Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 26, 2003, 10:34 AM   #1

Default Upper Entry Level V's Lower Mid Level ?

My Short List for my first Digital Camera seems to be a choice between the Canon A 80 (Upper Entry Level) and the Pentax Opio 450 (Lower Mid Level). Price wise they're both in the ball park and specs are reasonably alike. Size is not an issue. The Pentax has a 5 X zoom V's Canon's 3 X, but I have some resevations about 5 times zoom on a relatively small lens. Can anyone out there please give me a few Pro's and Con's on this and any other aspects to help me decide. :?:

Thanks
OzExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2003, 6:37 PM   #2

Oz, is the 5 x's optical or digital zoom. I'm biased. I prefer Canon cameras.
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 7:34 PM   #3
Administrator

They're optical (Pentax Optio 450, 550 and 555 all have 5x Optical Zoom Lenses), in very compact cameras.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 8:04 PM   #4

Nice. My first digicam, a Sony FD-91 had a 14x optical. Just loved it. Unfortunately, the camera's resolution was under 1 meg. Can't have everything, I guess.

I'm seeing FD-91's going for $300+ on eBay. I guess the buyers don't have too much digicam savvy. (^J^)
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 2:41 AM   #5

I'd go for the Pentax...
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 9:47 AM   #6

The A80 is considerably heavier once you install the 4 AA batteries and it is not shaped to fit in a pocket as easily. I like the fully articulated flip out LCD. The A80 doesnít have shutter priority but that isnít a big deal IMO Ė the action/sports mode will optimize for the fastest shutter for the available light. The CF cards are a little less pricey and come in very large sizes. Canon describes the camera as aimed at beginners but it has most of the good features you need. You will have to buy a charger and batteries as it just comes with alkaline AAs. I find the mode dial a little cluttered with little used modes that would be better accessed via menu.

The Pentax has an excellent lens. It is sharp with minimal CA and lower than average barrel distortion. They tend to measure barrel distortion at the widest focal length and there were some complaints from 550 owners that it continued into the mid ranges. But it isnít apparent in the test photos. Pentax says the battery is good for 400 shots. That is probably a bit much, but it will fill a 256Mb card easily Ė probably 170 or so best quality shots. That the 450 comes with the battery and charger more than makes up for the difference between the cost of a 256Mb CF card and SD.

They both take dinky 320 X 280 movies. If you want decent movies neither is very good.

I personally think the 450 is a dynamite pocket camera with a sharp 5X zoom lens. I donít see much to recommend the A80 other than the flip out LCD. The Canon will probably fit your hand better but not your pocket Ė and it is too heavy for a carry everywhere camera.

The Minolta G500 is cheaper than the A80, is 5Mp, smaller and lighter. If you donít opt for the 5X zoom look at the G500. It is a much better value than the A80 IMO. That flip out LCD is nifty though.

V is the Roman numeral for 5 BTW. Both the cameras you listed are 4Mp.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 9:54 AM   #7

I think what he meant was "versus" by saying V's... :lol:
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 11:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkThrone
I think what he meant was "versus" by saying V's... :lol:
Reminds me of the military weather forecasters. They reveled in inventing abbreviations nobody understood.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 9:23 AM   #9

Default Thanks for the feedback !

Eventually went for the Canon Powershot A80. As I said in my original post, size was not an issue and eventually it came down to the fact that locally I couldn't get the Opio 450 and the 550 was out of my price range and I also got quite a good price of the A80.

And yes, V's was for 'verses'. I thought that was a faily common abbreviation ( Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word :?: )

Thanks all !
OzExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2003, 11:10 AM   #10

Default Re: Thanks for the feedback !

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzExpat
Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word :?: )
Why not just use A'n?