Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 26, 2003, 11:42 AM   #1

Default EOS300D or CoolPix 5700...comparable choice? (newbie quest.)

Forgive me this question, but being very much of a newbie on (digital) camera's, I wanna take it a step forward into the digital world of photography.

After long time of waiting, I want to buy a digital camera that gives me plenty of options to play around with. I'm still learning, but want a camera that will be ready for the future of my hobby....and be flexible to extend it buying extra lenses. I don't want to end up after 6 months thinking "damn.. wish I bought that other one).

I was thinking about buying the Coolpix 5700 for a long time, but with Canon's new 300D camera, I start doubting if the extra money would make it worthwile.

I know it's probably not a fair comparison, but can any of you help me out making the choice? What does the 300D provide over the coolpix?
chrisvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2003, 2:12 PM   #2

The 300D offers many things over the CP5700. The cp5700 offers a few things over the 300D.

But lets start with the basics. What type of pictures do you plan on taking? How much money do you want (or can you) spend? How much experience do you have (sounds like not a lot)?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2003, 2:52 PM   #3

thanks eric - yes, not that much experience; current camera (oldie I took over from family) is analogue, and I didn't buy additional lenses as I was planning to spend my money on a new digital camera first.

I'm an allround photographer at the moment, but tend to (and will continue to) focus mostly on portraits and (makro) still life shots of anything I run into.

Current camera I have is rather poor on landscape pictures - would prefer if my next digital camera can be expanded with a wide-angle lens.

The 5700 offers actually the specs I'm searching for, but the 300 seems to be a bit more flexible/better investment for the future, right?
chrisvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2003, 6:14 PM   #4

The 300D is certainly more flexable. And it should produce very good pictures (all other things being equal.)

My first worry was that the CP5700 doesn't have a hotshoe for a flash, but it does. If it didn't, that would be a serious strike against it. A good flash helps portrait work a lot (especially if it supports bounce flash.)

For absolute quality and flexability I believe the 300D will be better. You might want to go to thsi site to compare the camera output:
http://www.imaging-resource.com

As I recall they are very good about taking the same picture with the same lighting (and all that) for each camera. So you should be able to compare the results.

For flexability... I don' tknow. The 300D is limited in its own way. You should read the reviews to see in what modes what works. I know it limits metering modes depending on camera mode and things like that. So yes, it is more flexable because it has replaceable lenses.... but its less flexable in other ways.

The CP5700 has a very nice lens, but the low end is only 35mm, which isn't very wide. For landscapes you would probably want 28mm or so. But the longer depth of field on the CP should be helpful.

It's a tough choice because both have limiting factores, just in different ways.

Something else you should realize. When you buy a replacable lens SLR, you buy into a system. You will end up buying batteries, lenses, flashes, maybe a remote shutter. All that stuff. This will effectively "lock" you into that system. So think carefully before you go that root. The cost of an SLR might be higher than you think.

Eric
Old Oct 26, 2003, 8:02 PM   #5

This extra cost counts certainly if you want ultra macro. There are several lenses for 300d with macro mode, but if you really want detailed fraction of a ant...

Another fact is that Canon is slowly getting more and more dominant as lens system. While Pentax lenses may be hard to sell of (or a great catch to if you buy secondhand), the EOS ef lenses go fast in secondhand circuit. So yes you buy into a system, but that system is kicking an alive.

Both cameras need extras like memory card and second battery.

I think for portret the rebel 300D would be better, while the Nikon is known for their macro. With the Nikon cp5700 you invest in something that will devaluate easier than 300D. The CP leaves you no option if you find lens not suited for a certain task, the Rebel will alow you to go even beyond control gadget crazy; From a $ 1600 extreme macro lens upto a super telelens (at same cost or higher)
Thise lens system is indeed something you should feel upto.

Another point is the Rebel supports Raw files, which are just as the name suggest a raw file leaving all secondary camera settings to be choosen at later moment at the computer (primary fuctions like shutter and apperture can obviously not be changed)
Raw files write faster than tiff to memory card, thus camera is faster ready for next shot.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 7:47 AM   #6
NHL

Default A different viewpoint:

There's no doubt that a 300D is more flexible, but you are also trading the convenience and the portability beside cost!

1. To get the same reach one would inevitably two lenses which lead to a camera bag and the need for changing lenses (as well as cleaning) for every outing...
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ighlight=28200

2. Don't forget to add the cost of that additional lens (which is not slighly more anymore).

3. Investing in the future? The same camera next year will not only be cheaper, but there'll be a better one at 1/2 the cost! Wether you buy a into a lens system now or in the future... it'll still be the same outlay (ie you are just tying up your money while learning)! What if a better Nikon, Fuji system come along?

Yeap my 10D does a few things more, but for overall convenience and portability I just grab my old compact and light D7 (the CP5700 is even smaller and lighter) when I don't care to lug thoses dSLR gears around (BTW the CP5700 like the D7 support RAW as well...) !
Come'on you guys (and gals)... who here's who have already own a dSLR do not think of/or having a 2nd lighter camera already? :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 7:51 AM   #7

Oh, I certainly do. And it would be handy to lend to my girlfriend so we can both shoot some.

Eric
Old Oct 27, 2003, 7:54 AM   #8

In the short run, I'd suggest that you get neither.

One of the dirty secrets of digital is that you have to do your own "darkroom" work with a photo editor to get the most out of any digicam. So I suggest that you spend the next few/several months learning how to use a photo editor. It is fairly cheap to have the pictures from your chemical camera put on a CD when it is done at the time of processing, though they tend to be fairly low resolution.

After you have learned how to use a photo editor, you will have a better idea of what you want, you will be ready to use it, and the price will be lower.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 8:01 AM   #9
NHL

:lol: :lol: :lol:

... See, the question now is how close (or flexible) do you want this 2nd camera to resemble your dSLR?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 8:37 AM   #10

The 5700 also supports raw(nef) files it was added as a firmware updare.

Quote:
Another point is the Rebel supports Raw files, which are just as the name suggest a raw file leaving all secondary camera settings to be choosen at later moment at the computer (primary fuctions like shutter and apperture can obviously not be changed)
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote