Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 24, 2009, 7:54 PM   #1

How do you use a monopod? I have one from years ago but don't know if I have ever used it. I am going away on holiday & thought I would take it rather than my tripod since it is smaller. But it doesn't stand up by itself so do I have to hold the camera up on the monopod to take a photo? I think that would make it harder to take a photo with.
jvanwees is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2009, 8:35 PM   #2

jvanwees wrote:
Quote:
How do you use a monopod? I have one from years ago but don't know if I have ever used it. I am going away on holiday & thought I would take it rather than my tripod since it is smaller. But it doesn't stand up by itself so do I have to hold the camera up on the monopod to take a photo? I think that would make it harder to take a photo with.
The best use of a monopod is as rest for the camera and/or large lens such that the monopodASSISTS you by stabilizing the camera in one axis of direction.

By using a monopod, the camera can notmove up/down. This is especially useful for a camera with a long heavylens which is hard to hold steady. Because the camera is restricted in movement in one direction the camera iseasier for you to stabilize in other directions.

Yes, for some people a monopod is not an asset, others,such as pro sports shoots, would figuratively die without a monopod.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 6:16 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I use my monopod almost all the time when shooting with my Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 lens. The only time I don't is when shooting gymnastics as I need more mobility.

I also use it when working with my Canon 70-200mm f2.8 for shooting motorsports when panning. It makes it easier to get a steady track when panning meaning more keepers. Also usually when shooting for a long time even the relatively light 70-200 will get heavy so it it good to be supported by the monopod.

If you don't have a lens with a tripod collar then I personally wouldn't both using the monopod.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 9:44 AM   #4

I don't shoot sports much, I use my monopod for macro and landscapes. Mine is nice in that its a trekking pole with a screw on top where you can either mount a camera or a ball head. For landscapes - try putting the monopod's end out in front of you, so it's at an angle. Then sort-of lean into it, this can help provide extra stability, especially if shooting into the wind. For shooting flowers, spider webs and similar macros, I hold the pole of the monopod in my left hand with the camera, then slide my hand (and camera) up and down the pole slightly to focus - it provides a third balancing point.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote