Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 28, 2003, 9:08 AM   #1

Default Best 5MP Point-n-Shoot Digicam ??

I am looking for the best possible 5MP point-n-shoot digicam that will give the best possible JPEGs image quality with a hot-shoe and good low-light performance. I am looking for accurate skin tones, good detail and color accuracy in a small, light (almost pocketable) easy to travel with size. Any suggestion?
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2003, 10:58 AM   #2

The limitation there is the hot shoe. Pocket cameras donít have them. Perhaps someone could suggest something else, but the most compact and competent 5Mp camera I know of with a hot shoe is the Sony V1: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/v1.html
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 11:11 AM   #3

I agree on that, I think the Sony has cornered that part of the block.
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 12:08 PM   #4

I'm looking for the same thing but I don't care about the size of the camera. I need it to focus well in low light and also the hot shoe. Manual features also.

I'm used to a manual camera that focuses using the split image. Is this avail at all in any of the digicams?

Thanks.
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 3:46 PM   #5

The oly C5050 is an excellent low light camra read Steves review.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 6:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen
I'm used to a manual camera that focuses using the split image. Is this avail at all in any of the digicams?
Yes, on dSLRs that cost a few thousand dollars!

As for flashes, you can use a slave flash with a generic bracket on cameras that don't have a hot shoe; that's what I personally do when I'm not holding the flash in my hand (the slave has no electrical connection with the camera).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 9:49 PM   #7

Mike_
At the risk of causing this thread to drift OT, could you share with us what slave flash you use, and is it compatinble with cameras such as the Oly c3020 that do a double flash (pre-flash).
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2003, 1:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawz
At the risk of causing this thread to drift OT, could you share with us what slave flash you use, and is it compatinble with cameras such as the Oly c3020 that do a double flash (pre-flash).
NP, I use a Metz 34-CS2 and of course it's compatible with the Oly preflash since I use it with my Oly C-700 with its preflash! There's a switch on the front of the flash that says, Slave Mode, 0, 1, 2"...that's the number of flashes it responds to, for Oly it's 2 of course. Here's my test in the store to see if the preflash works with my Oly:
http://photobucket.com/albums/0803/M...n/preflash.jpg

It's a smaller flash, but it's got a lot of power, check out the chart at http://www.the-meissners.org/olympus-flash.html it comes close to the FL-40's 40m guide number, the Metz is 37m. It has a variable power level, wide and telephoto lenses, and you can use it on any camera (either as a slave, or in a standard hotshoe socket). I have to say that the only downside of the flash is it uses more expensive non-rechargeable CR2 lithiums (but I buy them in bulk, since they can sit on a shelf for almost 10 years)...I got the flash in August, and I'm still on the first set of batteries, but most of the time I use the flash at lower power; I've only used the flash at full power only a few times, so that makes a big difference on battery level.

In my heart part of me still wants the FL-40, but it's just not affordable, especially with my camera which requires the proprietary cable and bracket, but I'm quite happy with the slave, especially when I can now shoot multiple flash (one from the front and one from the side). Here's a night shot I did with the Metz:
http://photobucket.com/albums/0803/M.../metz34cs2.jpg

The downside of using non-TTL flash is you have to think more, and you have to adjust your camera to the chart on the back of the flash. And there's more chance of having your pictures too dark, or too blown out by the flash.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2003, 12:17 PM   #9

What about the Canon G5?
SpeedyManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2003, 12:26 PM   #10

The G5 has received alot of critism for noise problems. Some of the reviews prefer the G3 to the G5.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote