Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 21, 2009, 4:23 PM   #1

I have recently purchased a Canon Rebel xs 1000D. I don't have a card with it yet, but the store told me I would need an SDHC card. I have old SD card's lying around, but I wasn't sure if I should put them into the slot. The old SD cards are cheaper so I would prefer to use them, but I will use what is necessary for this camera.

I have also been reading a few reviews on this camera and I was under the impression that the lens that came with it had image stabilization. Mine does not.

Lastly, I am trying to shoot without a card which is fine, but the shutter lag is atrocious. Around 2-3 seconds to shoot. I am hoping that is because there is no card in the system, but I don't want to discount the fact that maybe there is something wrong with it.

I am a newbie at this DSLR photography game I will be using it for amatuer shooting.

Thanks

netrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2009, 4:37 PM   #2
Administrator

Where are you located? In the US, it's common to see a Canon bundle with an 18-55mm IS lens. But, in some markets (Europe, etc.), you may find Canon kits with the non-IS version of the lens. It's also not uncommon to see dealers selling gray market kits (not intended for sale in region you live in).

But, sometimes you'll see dealer bundles versus factory bundles (where a dealer offers a discounted price on a body and a lens that they decide to bundle together in a kit).

As for shooting without a card, I suspect that's normal behavior. Many cameras won't let you shoot at all unless you have a card inserted.

Yes, you can use SD cards with your camera.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 5:24 PM   #3

I purchased it at Staples in Canada. I wonder if Canon would send me a replacement lens with IS?
netrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 5:46 PM   #4
Administrator

That's very unlikely.

From what I can tell from some quick searches, that's the way the kit is marketed (not as kit with the IS version of the lens), and Canon manufacturer part number for that kit is different compared to the one with an IS lens.

Staples probably negotiated with Canon to buy kits with the less expensive lens.

They often do the same thing with computers (sell models with different accessories and configurations compared to what you find at other dealers when shopping for the same brand/models).

Just because you see a camera kit bundled one way at one vendor, doesn't mean you can assume you're buying the same kit at a different vendor.

Old Apr 21, 2009, 6:23 PM   #5
Administrator

P.S.

The Canon manufacturer part number for the kit with a a black XS/1000D body including an 18-55mm lens without IS appears to be 2762B006

The Canon manufacturer part number for the kit with a black XS/1000D body including an 18-55mm lens with IS appears to be 2762B004 (depending on market area and what's included)

It's not uncommon for a manufacturer to bundle kits in more than one way, depending on the market (i.e., region) and arrangements with a given retailer/distributor, etc.

Unless your vendor marketed it as being a kit with an IS lens, your options are probably limited.