Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 3, 2009, 1:56 AM   #1

Hello,

I am playing intensively these days with HDR for real estate with my D200 and a Sigma 10-20mm as I am trying to expand my aerial pictures sales (www.cameralift.com) with a secondary niche.

I am happy with the final results, but I have to go though 4 different softwares, so maybe you could help me by telling me how to do it with less...

- I am using Irfanview for fast RAW loading, image rotation, and save RAW pics into TIFF
- Then I use Photomatix to build / tone mapping the HDR
- Then photoshop 7 to correct the horizontal and vertical lines (the Sigma at 10mm provides some good distortion) and "clean" the picture of any unwanted small object.
- Then I use Lightroom to finalize the picture (shadows, white balance, prepare the print...)

So you can imagine that one single picture takes me minimum 10 minutes to make it final !

Anyway to be more efficient ?

Thanks a lot

Philgib
philgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2009, 7:37 AM   #2

One, you could shoot in Jpeg, to save the raw conversion. Since you're blending exposures anyway, you don't need the extra flexibility RAW gives you for correcting exposure. Also, you should be able to do everything you do in Lightroom in Photoshop or vice versa.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 6:58 PM   #3

I agree. If you are taking multiple exposures to create HDR, Raw is not needed.

You should be able to do everything else with your photoshop. There are plugins available for lens distortion.

I use Photoimpact 10, which will do all but raw conversion (later versions have a raw converter). One advantage, is that, once the camera is profiled with multiple exposures to create HDR, you can use the HDR feature to create an expanded DR image from a single exposure. (helps if there is too much movement to get a good match when making HDR from multi exposures)

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 3:28 PM   #4

Thank you guys.

VTphotog, can you please develop ? I do have problems on exteriors, with tree moving with the wind, people, etc...

Here is an example : he tree is blurred as I took 5 pics, and there was some wind. So your point could be a very good one.

Cheers

Philippe

Last edited by philgib; May 9, 2009 at 3:32 PM.
philgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 10:59 PM   #5

I am not sure how others do it, but with Photoimpact, if you take a series of bracketed exposures and use them to create a HDR image, you can then save the resulting tone curve as a camera profile. This profile can be used later to create a simulated HDR from a single exposure. It won't fix overexposed highlights, of course, but will bring out detail in shadow areas. This is somewhat like the shadows/highlights tool in PS, but seems to sharpen the shadow details more. The disadvantage is that it brings out the noise in the shadows as well, and isn't true HDR, but and expanded DR image.
I have had trouble with HDR when there is a lot of movement between frames of a bracketed series, and this is a pretty good compromise.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote