Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 1, 2003, 7:32 AM   #1

Default Pictures are "grainy"

Dh got me a digital camera for my anniversary and I am a little dissappointed. He got me the Sony DSC-P52 which has 3.1 megapixels. I have taken a few pictures (indoors) and printed them on my inkjet printer (Lexmark x63). I printed them on Kodak picture paper 4x6. All of the pictures look "grainy" to me. Would this be a camera problem (this was $250 on sale so I hope not) or do I need a photo printer to get the good quality prints or was it just the paper quality. I can't take it back because that would crush his feelings but I hate to spend that kind of money and get poor pictures. If it is the printer, should I take the sticks to a store and have them developed there until I can afford a new printer....question being...are they any better? Also if I need a new priner...any recommendations?
vaught1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2003, 8:35 AM   #2

Default Re: Pictures are "grainy"

Hard to say what is going on without seeing the prints. There are three main possibilities:
1) the camera: settings, light level, ...
2) the printer: paper, ink, settings, ...
3) whatever is being done between the camera and printer

Does the "grain" show on your computer screen, or only on the printer? If that is the case, most likely you have the wrong printer settings. You have to "tell" the printer what kind of printing you want to do: plain paper, photo paper, what dpi, ...

Since you mentioned that you were shooting indoors, the problem could be not enough light to get a good shot. Try some shots outdoors in bright light.

The good news is that it is more likely to be a wrong setting somewhere than a problem with camera or printer. The bad news is that you have to figure out what it is.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2003, 9:01 AM   #3

It could have been the lighting. I guess to describe "grainy" a little better would be that you seem to be able to see the color seperations in the pictures. It is like the faces and arms are splotchy...almost like you can tell the different lines as the printer printed them and nothing is really "crisp/sharp". There is really no defination. I don't notice it when I view the pictures on the computer just a little shine on the faces which I assume would have been from the flash/lighting. Does this help any?
Old Nov 1, 2003, 10:04 AM   #4

You can eliminate the printer by having some of your pictures printed at Wal-Mart or CostCo. Take the compact flash card to the store and print a few pictures. If they come out OK, your problem is with your printer, if not, it's a camera problem.

I still print my pictures at home with my six color Epson because of the flexiblity it offers. Printing them commercially is actually less expensive than doing it myself.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2003, 6:30 PM   #5

I would say that you have not selected the right type of paper for the printing. Try experimenting with the "paper type" (Like high glossy, glossy) etc. you may waste a few sheets, but at least once you have it right you can write it down
Mat-Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2003, 10:04 PM   #6

Dh took some pictures today (indoors and outdoors) and took them to WM and had them processed. They all turned out really well so I am sure it is the printer. I think it will end up costing less to get them developed there rather than doing it at home so I am just going to opt for that right now. Thanks for everyone's input. At least my mind (and stomach) are now at ease!