Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 15, 2009, 3:00 PM   #11

Like JohnG, I have done short series of posts on a particular topic, such as using your external flash and getting much better photos. Sometimes these series of posts have been called "tutorials," and I guess they are in the most general sense of the word.

But the thrust of these mini help threads has been targeted at providing a short series of "how to" posts, followed by answering questions regarding the "how to" information then provided. With the questions and misunderstandings dealt with, we have then moved forward a bit deeper into the topic, followed by questions, and more information.

That mode seems to keep the forum like quality intact, while adding information that is helpful to the reading audience of that thread. So, here is a thought. Are we hung up on the terms "FORUM" and "TUTORIAL" so how?

It appears that we are successful in the current format, and that we have indeed provided added information and techniques that have been helpful. But we are dealing with specific photo techniques or equipment, rather than very broad general areas.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 3:19 PM   #12

I agree. One of the most common "tutorials" I've seen on other websites is the "What Camera Should I Buy?" Tutorial.

I think we do a much better job here than any of those tutorials.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by XinsaneX View Post
Well, searching in this forum I didn't find any tutorial of cameras, terms or photography!

Maybe, If other people like me are interested too, it would be really helpful for the newbies like me to see some tutorial of the parts of the camera, the technical terms and any info you people -the experts- can add.

I'm a noob like I said on my other post, but I think that people like me that are interested in starting into this hobbie would be a great help to know the terms, the parts and the way that they works!
I already know that tutorials we can find anywhere else maybe, but I see that here are many people that really knows what they talk about so if any of them can spare a little time and create threads with tutorials would be a cool idea for newbies and maybe can too share tips for other more advance users.

I hope that other users agree with me!

I hear ya, not many will donate personal time.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:06 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
I'm not sure it is that, more that very few have the experience and ability to share this in comprehensive and accurate tutorial form.

We have lots of people who invest quite a lot of time to assisting at Steve's and they do a great job in answering the questions of our other members.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 9:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
That's an odd response from someone with almost 7,000 posts.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:07 AM   #16

You also have to understand there are entire majors of study around photography. Books and books and more books written on it. You really do have to actually take some initiative and read what exists, take photos and ask questions. Lots of people here are willing to help with specific questions and problems. But if you're unwilling to actually read and practice and come up with questions, quite frankly you're not doing your part.

Honestly, expecting someone here to type out all the photographic terms when there are hundreds of sites that already define them is unrealistic. Do a google on "photographic terms" or "photography glossary" and you'll get thousands of hits. Then, if you still don't understand a specific term, ask a question. But show some initiative instead of expecting someone to take the time to re-write what hundreds of people have already written.

Also, as has been mentioned, tutorials can be dangerous things. Lots of people have opinions but that doesn't mean they actually know what they are talking about. So someone COULD write a 4 page tutorial on a subject and it could be total hogwash because they really don't understand what they are talking about. That's why it's much easier for people that want to learn to ask questions. Then you get multiple people here who answer the questions and it's easier to determine who knows what they're talking about.
For instance, one of my areas of interest - sports photography. Web sites are full of people giving advice on equipment and technique that never shoot any sports. Sometimes the advice they give is OK, but at best it's incomplete. Very often it's just plain bad advice because they speak outside of their area of expertise. So if one of those people wrote a tutorial on sports shooting, how would you know the difference? And, that puts Steve's in a bad spot - do you really want the moderators having to look at tutorial threads and shutting them down because they're poor vs. leaving them up and giving the impression Steve's endorses the tutorial?

So, bottom line - do some general research, get a book and take photos. When you have specific questions ask them and you'll get answers. Lots of us here are happy to help. But if you can't be bothered to take initiative and read what is already written don't blame people with more experience for not taking 400 hours to type out lengthy tutorials attempting to explain every facet of photography. I hope that makes sense.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote