Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 14, 2009, 8:32 PM   #1

Default Tutorials [?]

Well, searching in this forum I didn't find any tutorial of cameras, terms or photography!

Maybe, If other people like me are interested too, it would be really helpful for the newbies like me to see some tutorial of the parts of the camera, the technical terms and any info you people -the experts- can add.

I'm a noob like I said on my other post, but I think that people like me that are interested in starting into this hobbie would be a great help to know the terms, the parts and the way that they works!
I already know that tutorials we can find anywhere else maybe, but I see that here are many people that really knows what they talk about so if any of them can spare a little time and create threads with tutorials would be a cool idea for newbies and maybe can too share tips for other more advance users.

I hope that other users agree with me!
XinsaneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2009, 3:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XinsaneX View Post
it would be really helpful for the newbies like me to see some tutorial of the parts of the camera, the technical terms and any info you people -the experts-...I already know that tutorials we can find anywhere else maybe, so if any of them can spare a little time and create threads with tutorials ....
A forum is a place where things are discussed, and questions asked, interactively, among almost everyone, in a democracy. A tutorial has a tutor and pupils. So, while fulfilment of this suggestion would provide another useful resource, I'd suggest that the whole web or, even better, a good book would be a better place to start, alongside much practise with your camera.

These forums are then unrivalled for getting the answers to specific photographic questions, when you know what to ask.

That said, I note on searching these forums that there are 500 occurrences of the word "tutorial". I don't how many are questions and how many are answers or links to internet answers elsewhere, but there's a big resource there already. I have one example, a link to an HDR tutorial that I found here, permanently installed in my photographic 'Favorites' list...

http://www.naturescapes.net/072006/rh0706_1.htm

With luck, folk here will point you to some general tutorials. In the UK, pretty well every home in the country has been bombarded with adverts for completely free, but quite good basic books on (a) choosing and (b) using digital cameras published by a consumer magazine. (They're hoping to sell magazine subscriptions.)

http://www.which.magazine.co.uk/supplements/digitalphotography

Maybe there's something like that wherever you are (I don't know where because your profile is blank).

Also, as I should have said first, take a look at....

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digresources.html#books

Good luck, and happy shooting!

Last edited by Alan T; May 15, 2009 at 3:14 AM.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 7:44 AM   #3

I agree with Alan and would like to emphasize a couple of points:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
... or, even better, a good book would be a better place to start, alongside much practise with your camera.
A book has the advantage over the web because the photos are produced in higher resolution. Don't worry much about the book being about chemical cameras instead of digital: f/stops, shutter speed, ISO, composition, ... pretty much all the important issues are the same for both.

To learn the specifics of your camera nothing will substitute for practice and reading the manual. One big advantage of digital is that much of the information about the photo (f/stop, shutter speed, ISO, focal length, ...) are kept track of in the EXIF data attached to the photo. Learning how to read that will help your practice a great deal.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 12:32 PM   #4

Well, I don't discuss the point that a book is a better way -or tool- to learn this kind of things.

But being this a forum it's a good chance to share information among users, therefore, it's normal in forums that more experienced users can create good tutorials about insteresting topics.
Since I'd been in forums I'd read tutorials and the classics how-to guides that help people to learn or to solve problems.

I know that there's a lot of manuals, tutorials, how-to-guides, and other stuff in the web. But my suggestion was to be able to you guys, the more experienced ones, can suggest the newbies some links or to create tutorials to share good info.
Since I don't know about photography I can't tell about if a tutorial or any information is it right or it is wrong.
That's why I suggested this.

Like I said, it's normal in other forums to find tutorials about interesting topics and that's a really good thing IMO.

About the the specs of the camera, I'm used to read about thousand times the manual and many sites.
I was refering to the terms not to the specs.

About the links I thank you and I'll check them out later! (cause I'm at work)

Since we all three agree that the books are better to learn than internet , and the practice of course, a thing that would be most helpful to me/us (noobs) would be if you can suggest the books/authors that you think that have good/great/helpful information.

It would be really cool to have some guidance about which book to look for.

PS: I've the habit of use the song of Iron Maiden "Caught somewhere in time" to fill that part of the profile! But I'd changed that, I'm from Buenos Aires Argentina! Little sharing here!
XinsaneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 12:58 PM   #5

Just to add to Alan and Bills excellent replies:
There is simply too much about photography to create a tutorial in a forum post. I once produced a very lengthy post here just on how to shoot soccer. It assumed a working knowledge of photographic principles and dealt only with the specific challenges of shooting this single sport. For general terms, a quick google search will turn up 100s of dictionaries out there. For principles of photography - many books have been written. No one is going to do the subject justice by writing a few paragraphs where 100s of pages in a book are already present.

NOW, all is not lost. What you will find very helpful here is when you have a SPECIFIC question or photographic issue. Then you'll find a very helpful crowd here. But a post or set of posts trying to explain all of photography would be too voluminous IMO to be successful.

After you've gotten some books, one website that is very helpful is the Luminous Landscape. They have some very good articles and tutorials.

Once you understand photography - the camera manual will explain how to find the settings on your particular camera. Manuals are a very poor way to learn photography but if you know photography you can spend 1/2 hour with a camera manual and know 90% of what you need to in order to find the functions you need for most photographic needs.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 1:35 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Hmm, I dunno.

I think the suggestion has merit.

Taking John's soccer post and turning it into a permanent resource is a nice idea.

I'm sure people would be willing to contribute and we might be able to build up a nice resource. These things could be started as threads and the moderators could end up by posting an item in a new category once they are happy with the main "article".
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:06 PM   #7

There are some excellent tutorials available on-line; they're just not available here. If someone asks for a tutorial (as they have in the past), they will be referred to some excellent choices like the ones available on Sony's, Canon's and Nikon's own websites.

Why re-invent the wheel when we can simply include hyperlinks to the superb efforts of others?

Last edited by TCav; Jul 8, 2009 at 12:08 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 2:23 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Why bother to have these forums at all? There are plenty of other good ones out there, including ones available at Sony, Canon and Nikon's own websites.

But these forums are a resource and if people want to contribute to some tutorials on frequently asked questions then what's the harm? There would be nothing to stop those tutorials from providing links and references to other resources either.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 2:37 PM   #9

And as Forums, this site is invaluable. But as useful as posts by JohnG, among others, have been and will continue to be, they are not tutorials. If you want a quick and dirty course on digital photography, go to an online tutorial. If you have a question, come here.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 5:35 PM   #10
Super Moderator

I personally don't have an issue with the concept as they could be helpful to point people to but ensuring that the quality is of a high standard would be key. We have had members post certain tutorial threads in the past, some of which haven't been of the best standard (not John's that was a great one).

I'm concerned that it could take quite a bit of time to make sure that the advice given was correct as if Steve's had a tutorial section it would be like the site rubber stamping the information so it would need to be controlled.

I generally just point members who ask a specific question to other tutorials online, previous posts here or give my own examples.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote