Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 15, 2009, 2:05 PM   #1

Default black & white

I,m new to the digitial world and I was wondering if I want to do some black & white photos do I have to change the color pattern to black & white, then I would have to select the Iso and then I would select the night icon to do the picture.

Last edited by bugs228; May 15, 2009 at 2:09 PM.
bugs228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2009, 3:40 PM   #2

You are always better off shooting in color, and doing the B&W conversion on your computer later. That's becasue there are lots of different ways to convert an image to B&W, and your camera only does one of them. Also, if you're not satisfied with the B&W conversion, you still have the color image.

See http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/topic29870_post312842.html
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 3:46 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugs228 View Post
I,m new to the digitial world and I was wondering if I want to do some black & white photos do I have to change the color pattern to black & white, then I would have to select the Iso and then I would select the night icon to do the picture.
Taking black and white photos doesn't have anything to do with things like ISO speed (which is how sensitive the sensor is to light) or a "night icon" (which is usually something a camera may have for night scenes).

Those settings are all for different things. Now, you may want to take a photo changing all 3. But, that would depend on the conditions.

Some camera don't even offer a black and white option. It depends on the camera model.

I'd suggest taking photos in color, then converting them to black and white later using an image editor. That way, you'd have both color and black and white versions of it to choose from. If you take one using a Black and White setting in the camera, then that's your only option if you decide it would have looked better in color. ;-)

Using an image editor, you've got lots of options for conversion. Many free image editors (for example, Irfanview will let you convert an image to gray scale, or desaturate an image via sliders.

More advanced techniques include Channel Mixing for a better effect, using a more sophisticated editor like the GIMP (also free), or Photoshop. Here's a google search that may help:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=gimp+...ite+conversion
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 3:48 PM   #4
Administrator

I was typing too slow and I see TCav beat me to it. IOW, your best bet is to take them in color and convert the to black and white later for more flexibility.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote