Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 17, 2009, 1:55 PM   #1

Default Wierd Camera Problem

So, I've had my Nikon D50 for 2 or 3 years now, and I have been really happy with the results... Until the last couple weeks. Some picutres will turn out good, and then out of no where a bunch of pictures come out like this!!!

I'm not sure whats going on with it, but I hope it's nothing too bad. Thanks in advance. Any help appreciated...

Aaron
Attached Images

oldschoolvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2009, 2:30 PM   #2

Gadzooks!
I can honestly say I've never seen that b/4! Some more Data please?Is it doing that constantly now/ or intermittantly? It almost looks like your White Balance is gone bonkers or something.I have a D50 also and haven't caught that version of (looking thru the blinds flu) not yet anyway.....Did you do any menu changes lately? (I'm fishing here...)
Old May 17, 2009, 3:20 PM   #3

Have you tried a different battery? Memory card? The color and positional shifts indicate some corruption in the sequence of how the file is written. If it happens only when shooting jpeg, it indicates a problem with your camera's processor. Can you shoot RAW or TIFF and get different results? Answers to these questions will help narrow down the problem.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 3:57 PM   #4

Its a corrupted file, no question. I've never had it happen to me (yet) but have seen a number posted on forums like this looking for help. I can occur in the camera's buffer, when the camera writes the file to card, and when you copy the file to your hard drive.

Its important to try to determine when the corruption occured. The very first thing you should do is to copy the files from the card to your computer again. If the first time than you transfered them you used some editing or archiving application (PS, Bridge, PSE, Lightroom, ...) avoid using that application this second time. Simply mount the card on your computer, either through a card reader or from the camera acting like a card reader, and copy the files to a new location on your hard drive using an Explorer (Win) window or Finder (Mac). If these copies are also corrupted then either the files on the card are bad or the card reader is faulty. If the latter, the corruption won't be identical in any pair of files and the pattern of which files are corrupted and which aren't will likely be different.

The next test would be to change cards. If a different card never fails the fault is in the original card. If both cards fail, the fault is probably in the camera. That generally means a trip to the shop.

If you use your camera as a card reader, never removing the card, you can run into issues resulting from the card contacts getting dirty. If this is your habit, remove the card and clean the contacts by rubbing them with a clean cotton cloth or clean micro-fiber lens cloth. Reinsert the card and take a bunch of test shots to see of the corruption reoocurs or not.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 8:47 AM   #5
Administrator

As others have noticed, your files are corrupted and the memory card would be suspect (it's probably just a corrupted FAT causing it, which can occur when users delete images from a PC and don't use the "safely remove" or "eject" features of their operating system before unplugging the camera or removing the card from a reader).

I'd reformat your memory card using the camera's menu choice for format and see if the problem goes away (if not, try a different memory card).

Personally, I reformat my memory cards every time I reuse them with a camera's menu choice for format (not the PC). That way, I always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), just the way the camera expects it, since it's performing the format.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:21 AM   #6

ok everyones pretty much blaming the card, and im not saying it isnt the card, in fact i hope for your sake it is, but, i had a canon ixus 400 (i think) that started doing exactly the same thing, im guessing theres no live view on d50 because if there were i bet youd see the same thing on the lcd before you even took the picture, which is what i saw, if i left the camera on for about 10 minutes it would go back to normal, im guessing it was the sensor that was dieing, anyway i took it to pieces one day and never put it back together lol, so it ended up in the rubbish bin.

i hope im wrong but when i saw those pics they looked exactly like the ones the canon took.

Dave
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Administrator

Nah... Those samples are corrupted jpeg files.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 5:15 PM   #8

your probly right, but i just thought it was worth mentioning in case he trys a different card and its the same, only because those pics are exacly like the ones the canon did, id post some to show you, but i never saved any.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote