Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 10, 2009, 3:23 PM   #1

Default Finding your best critic

Got myself a Canon SX10 around March time and I've been snapping away happily : landscapes, sunsets, the shipping canal nearby, the beach, the kids, museums etc etc. I'm pretty sure that I've done over 2000 photos since I got it. I've asked on other forums what people thought of my pictures and never got much feedback. I presume that people didn't say anything instead of saying something negative. Yes I have had a few +ve comments.

Well today was my birthday, and my wife presented me with four large frames or several of my photos and she said that she'd like to hang them up on the wall.

What a gift !!!
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2009, 5:32 PM   #2
Super Moderator

That's very cool.

You are right some people won't critique as they don't want to offend someone, another reason is that although people like to think they know everything in fact they don't have the ability to really advise so again say nothing..... another problem is a know-it-all who spouts on about everything but with limited skills and technical ability.

You will find some of each in all forums, but if you really want people here to look at your work then post a single photo in the critique and technique section asking for advice etc and see what comes back. I will be honest and say even this section you don't always get any advice but just people saying looks good etc, but I'm sure you will find it helpful. I try to keep an eye on what is being posted there and assist where I can.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 4:35 AM   #3

Two of the photos that were framed :

I would have preferred that there wasn't somebody in the picture but the wife says that it shows the size of the spider sculpture.

Cropped a bit for the frame, but this was taken from the in-laws balcony in the South West of France.

There were a couple of others but they're just flower macros and the canal near us that I can't find ATM.

Matt
Old Jun 11, 2009, 4:41 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Cool, I like the first one a lot and it's a really nice composition. The person doesn't really bother me but I think I'm like you and would rather they were not there.

I don't think the 2nd is such a strong image, nothing wrong with it but the first makes more of a statement.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 4:02 PM   #5

Yeah I know what you mean. The second one isn't anything special apart from being taken from the in-laws house.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 6:03 PM   #6

I like the second photo. For me, I have created a folder named "clouds" and save lots of shots like this. When I have a picture that needs a good sky, I'll insert it in and see if it matches well. Dan.
Dan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 1:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
...The second one isn't anything special...
Nevertheless, if these are deemed good enough to hang on your wall, please could we see some more of them, in whichever of Steve's Forums is appropriate? I just searched the forums for you, and didn't find any others, yet!

As you will discover from any replies you get, there is a wide diversity of taste to be found among members, but it's nearly all worth hearing, and they often do some wonderful editing you hadn't thought of yourself, I find. However, your own judgement is the important one, and when your family agree to the point of home decoration that's wonderful.

The problem in our house is the fierce competition for wallspace with 'real' artwork, often on a large scale, from the rest of the family.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 2:50 AM   #8

I know what you mean Alan, my father-in-law is a good painter. Plus my 5 year old daughter is asking to have her pictures put on the walls. I'll need to put up some walls to satisfy everyone's artistic needs !!

Dan7, that'll be 10,000 pounds then please

I'll try and find some more links to other 'sky' photos for you, don't think that I have that many.

Cheers for the comments.

Matt