Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 4, 2003, 7:49 AM   #1

Default Buying my first camera (which one?)

I've been photographing a little bit now and then for several years and now is the time to buy the first own camera.
The problem is the more I read about diffrent kinds of cameras the more confused I get. First I was thinking about Powershot G5, but now I've read that it might not be worth the price it costs(and it is a bit pricey anyway).
I'm looking for something costing around or less than $700 (here in Finland everything costs little bit more than the prices shown on reviews.
Something that has enough features to satisfy my needs later when/if my talents expand (ie. manual shutterspeed and apperture). I would be using it mostly for nature photographing (including macro shooting) and landscapes but it should be usable in almost every kind of situations (including limited capability for night shooting).
I'm not looking for a pocketsize camera as I like more bigger and sturdy ones.

-Gilly
Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2003, 9:19 AM   #2

Gilly

If nature shooting will be your major concentration then I recommend you look at ultra zoom models. You will find the extra zoom will be very useful. The trade off for the ultra zoom is low light shooting. Here are some of the cameras I have used with the ultra zoom:

Olympus C750 or 740, 10 X Optical zoom
Fuji S5000, 10 X optical zoom
Kodak 6490, 10 X optical zoom
Nikon 5700, 8 X optical zoom

Panasonic is introducing a new 4mp, 12X optical zoom this month that is advertised to be capable in low light and with image stablization.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2003, 6:13 AM   #3

I've looked through those cameras you mentioned and a few others and Kodak 6490, Olympus C-750 UZ and the new Panasonic sound best of them. Only problem is that the Kodak and Panasonic are pretty hard to find here in Finland (no shop seems to have those) and in Olympus the memory costs double to Compact Flash and around 80 euros more than SD or MMC of same capacity.
I was thinking about ordering the camera online but I'm not sure about the warranty and technical support if I order them from some other country.

-Gilly
Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2003, 9:07 AM   #4

Gilly

I suspect that you are correct in the area of technical support. The ordering of memory products from the US should be available. Check out the web site www.newegg.com. The XD picture card 128mb less than $60.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote