Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 16, 2009, 6:46 AM   #1

Default dSLRs with movable LCD and Live View

Hi,

Trying to make sure that I'm not missing a camera or two (yes I have used Google) that has a movable (articulated) LCD screen plus Live View.

So far :

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1
Panasonic Lumix DMC-L10
Nikon D5000
Olympus E-620
Olympus E-30
Olympus E-3
Sony Alpha DSLR-A330
Sony Alpha DSLR-A380

Any more?

Matt

Last edited by mattyb; Jun 16, 2009 at 7:23 AM.
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2009, 7:28 AM   #2
Super Moderator

It seems quite complete, I would pose the question though what are you looking for from a camera as just having live view does not make it a good or even usable camera?!

I have 2 dSLRs with liveview and only use it for limited situations.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 8:30 AM   #3

I use the Live View, swiveling LCD on my SX10 so much. Getting low or on the same eye-level as my 2 year old son or my 5 year old daughter yields some interesting photos. Taking candids is much easier - I do this alot but with people I know, not in the street. Shooting holding above your eye level is also much easier when the LCD can be turned to point downwards. Ever tried shooting from a corner of a room in a museum that has a bin there?

I do appreciate that this is tech that is seen by many as not important, but for me it is. And I would put more on a movable LCD than extra pixels.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 8:45 AM   #4
Administrator

In addition to the Sony A330 and A380 models, you may still be able to find the Sony A300 and A350 at some dealers (the A330 and A380 were just recently released to replace them). Most vendors appear to be sold out of them now, though.

Note that Autofocus tends to be slow with most dSLR models that have Live View (limiting it's usefulness for shooting non-stationary subjects).

The Sony models (A300, A330, A350, A380) are going to focus much faster than most models when using live view. That's because the design makes use of a separate live view sensor in the viewfinder housing (when using live view, this sensor sees the same image that would have been projected to the optical viewfinder), allowing the use of their dedicated 9 point AF sensor assembly while in Live View mode. IOW, they can focus just as fast in Live View mode as they do when using the optical viewfinder.

Other dSLR models with Live View are going to use slower contrast detect AF systems via the image seen by the main imaging sensor, or will need to flip the mirror back in front of the main sensor (blocking the live view) while Autofocusing with a dedicated AF sensor.

I'd make sure to try out any models you consider in a store if you think you'll want Live View.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:33 AM   #5

dSLRs can use a variety of lenses, some of which can be big and/or heavy. That can make what you're trying to do considerably more difficult. If an articulating 'Live View' display is a priority for you, you might want to stick to a P&S digicam.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 7:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Hi,

Trying to make sure that I'm not missing a camera or two (yes I have used Google) that has a movable (articulated) LCD screen plus Live View.

So far :

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1
Panasonic Lumix DMC-L10
Nikon D5000
Olympus E-620
Olympus E-30
Olympus E-3
Sony Alpha DSLR-A330
Sony Alpha DSLR-A380

Any more?

Matt
Actually, less. The Panasonic G1 and GH1 are not SLRs and don't qualify for your list.

It may be a minor point to some, but they are live view only cameras. Even their eyelevel finder is a liveview finder and not an optical reflex finder with moving mirror, a attribute that is a required component of an SLR (Single Lens Reflex), film or digital.

To include the G1 and GH1, you would have to replace "DSLR" with "interchangable lens digital camera" in your qualifications.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:10 AM   #7

Thanks for that info dwig.

TCav, having a movable LCD and Live View is a priority, but not the only one. If you haven't used one to capture those pesky kids as they run around, you need to try it.

Matt
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:34 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for that info dwig.

TCav, having a movable LCD and Live View is a priority, but not the only one. If you haven't used one to capture those pesky kids as they run around, you need to try it.

Matt
As previously mentioned by Jim there are major AF implications with using live view with a lot of options so although you might be able to get difficult angles more easily you will lose the ability to focus quickly which is going to be key by the sound of it.

So seems that Sony could be worth a look in your situation.

Personally I would be crawling around on the floor using a dSLR with a better optical view finder than one of the Sony options with live view (they have smaller optical viewfinders to make up for the better live view focus) but we all work in different ways.

I also think the G1 and GH1 have better focus systems than the dSLR options that use live view but not as good as the AF in most dSLRs for normal shooting.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 5:10 AM   #9

Quote:
I don't have any trouble with the optical viewfinder.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 6:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I don't have any trouble with the optical viewfinder.
Neither do I, and I use mine. BUT, there are moments when the screen + Live View allows one to get the shot :

I'm 6 foot, and looking through the viewfinder for this would have been impossible unless you had setup the scene previously.

This pig had a fence surrounding him that was higher than my head :

I understand that this functionality may be seen as 'candy' for those with a lot more experience than I. I have found it useful, especially for the types of pictures that I seem to be doing. I would also like to use fast primes and possibly some post processing in the future, hence the need for a camera that accepts other lenses and one that can do RAW. My (limited) understanding was that only SLRs fit the bill.

Matt