Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 6, 2003, 1:02 AM   #1
RSD

Default Buying an A70

i am buying an A70 this saturday
i know that some of them are just messed up so the store is aloowing me to test the A70 there
any suggestions on what tests i should do?
RSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2003, 8:06 AM   #2

Use the optical zoom thru all telephoto strengths. Download pics from the camera to a PC. Take a picture with the lens covered up to look for hot pixels. Print the pictures to a printer. Is the camera coming with the Canon warranty?
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 10:24 AM   #3

Gibs is on the right track, I just got one in UK and so far it seems OK, came with Canon warranty as well (but not extended). After it arrived I saw the A80 on the web through Amazon at a higher price, but not that much higher for 4mpix.

Since I bought the A70 as a second/wife cam, I don't want to put too much cash into it. I can share the batts and media with my 602, BUT not a Microdrive. Shame really, just needs a bigger slot!. Never had a Canon before. Some different features to play with, I like the optical viewfinder for saving on batts and it seems a neat small cam. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 10:47 AM   #4

I wanted to add to make sure the flash works.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 5:34 PM   #5
RSD

ok thanx gibs
im gonna take a piece of graph paper and a piece of black paper with me
ill check the flash too
anything else that is known to be defective in A70s?
:?
Old Nov 7, 2003, 12:08 AM   #6

Take a picture of shelves in the store or a brick wall. Anything with even horizontal lines. take a couple of shots with the lcd and the viewfinder and make sure the shelves etc. are parrellel with the lcd/viewfinder. Then put it in the play mode and see if the pictures are still square with the lcd or if they are rotated. I wouldn't really worry if it is a degree or two off. It is hard to hand hold the camera exactlly level anyway. Look for severe easilly noticable misalignment.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 5:14 AM   #7

Hi, I noticed on the spec for the A80 it has some software gizmo setting for auto- alignment, Do you think they can't get the ccd's in straight, so is this the answer, or does the cam need an offset spirit level on the top? VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 2:15 PM   #8
ir

I'm on my second A70. The first one had a blurry section on the left side of every pic. It seemed to be an optical thing. It wasn't a smudge on the lens or anything. It was larger the closer to wide angle the lens was, so I think it was an optical imperfection of some sort. I brought it back to the retailer and they replaced it. Thing is I didn't notice right away. I saw it a few weeks after I got the camera, then went back through all my pics and it was in every one. Once I noticed it, I couldn't not see it anymore. The point is, check out the pics carefully to make sure they are of a good quality.

ir
ir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 5:28 PM   #9
RSD

im going with my dad and he gets a day off every saturday so i'll probably have to wait a week before i can bring it back
but that'll give me plenty of time to test it.
i'm getting the camera tomorrow and i'd like to thank everyone on the message board for all of the help they have givin me and especially steve for setting up this site.

THANK YOU ALL :!:
Old Nov 7, 2003, 5:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Hi, I noticed on the spec for the A80 it has some software gizmo setting for auto- alignment, Do you think they can't get the ccd's in straight, so is this the answer, or does the cam need an offset spirit level on the top? VOX

Vox,

No, this is entirely different. I believe you are talking about the orientation sensor, which is a tiny switch inside the computer (gravity operated, like a ball bearing or a weight). It can tell if you are holding the camera horizontal or vertical. When you view the photo later on your computer, it will be oriented in the proper direction so that 'up' in the photo will always be 'up' on the monitor, even if you held the camera 90 degrees clockwise or 90 degrees counter clockwise.

Kevin
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote