Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 6, 2003, 1:12 AM   #1

Default Compact Flash Card Question

I am going to buy my first digital camera and I know that you can download your pictures to your computer hard drive.
My queation is can you upload the pictures from your hard drive to the compact flash card??
TIA for your input.
George
georgeofmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2003, 8:04 AM   #2

You transfer pics from your hard drive to the CF. You more than likely will not be able to view them with your camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 9:39 PM   #3

Thanks,
Would I be able to take the CF to photo machine like they have at Sam's and have a picture printed.
TIA,
George
Old Nov 6, 2003, 10:06 PM   #4

Absolutely... I do this all the time.

I'd recommend buying a CF card reader, they're pretty inexpensive. It saves time & trouble hooking up the camera, saves your camera batteries, and generally downloads faster than the camera will. Also, some cameras appear to the computer as a removable drive, making it easy to copy to/from the card without using the camera's software... but other cameras do not and you must use special software to download the photos.

I use the small (16mb) card that came with my camera as a temporary card to take photos in for printing. I don't like sticking my expensive cards into the machines that everybody else uses and abuses (and probably let their 4 year olds stick their tic-tacs and gummy bears into). With the card reader, I can use the 16mb card just like a really big, but really tiny floppy disk.

What have you narrowed your camera choices to?

Kevin
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 11:34 PM   #5

Thanks,
You'all have been very helpful.
I have done some online research and for the money I think the Canon Powershot A70 has the features that I want. It also looks like a reliable camera. I hope it goes on sale somewhere before Christmas. If not $300.00 it not a bad price.
George
Old Nov 7, 2003, 6:18 PM   #6

The A70 is a great camera... I bought one about 4 months ago. I did have one problem (a defective switch after considerable use on the first camera). Fortunately I was just barely past the 90 day return/exchange period and the store gave me a new one after a few polite protests .

My only real complaint is that it isn't an A80 .

Kevin
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2003, 1:44 AM   #7

sorry you had a problem..
I think I will enjoy the A 70, judging from the reviews I have read.
George